The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Question Want to be Dukies!!!

I had a GV game at a private school last night and there were home team fans standing on the sidelines chanting on every pass of the visiting team. We ignored them most of the game until they started jogging down the sideline with the visiting team. I went to game management and told the person that they were being disruptive and needed to either sit or stand in one spot. They were having fun and not really bothering anyone, just annoying as heck!!!! Any comments?
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I had a GV game at a private school last night and there were home team fans standing on the sidelines chanting on every pass of the visiting team. We ignored them most of the game until they started jogging down the sideline with the visiting team. I went to game management and told the person that they were being disruptive and needed to either sit or stand in one spot. They were having fun and not really bothering anyone, just annoying as heck!!!! Any comments?
HRA? If so, I've had their BV twice this year and those fans have been quite respectful and accomadating in my dealings with them. In fact, on sideline throw-ins one of the guys always took it upon himself to ensure everyone backed off and gave us enough room.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 11:50am.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
HRA? If so, I've had their BV twice this year those fans have been quite respectful and accomadating in my dealings with them. In fact, on sideline throw-ins one of the guys always took it upon himself to ensure everyone backed off and gave us enough room.
Well this was a girls game and they were quite pleasent and kind of funny. But we couldnt have them running up and down the sideline!!!!
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Well this was a girls game and they were quite pleasent and kind of funny. But we couldnt have them running up and down the sideline!!!!
Why not? Were they in your way? There is a lot of space between the sidelines and the bleachers in that gym.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Why not? Were they in your way? There is a lot of space between the sidelines and the bleachers in that gym.
It was disrupting to the game, IMO as well as my partner. Poor sportmanship.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

how was it disrupting? and why poor sportsmanship? what were they saying? sounds like kids just having good clean fun making it tough on the visitors -- thats WHAT i call home field advantage
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

I only thought baseball umpires were "OOO".

Regards,
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
how was it disrupting? and why poor sportsmanship? what were they saying? sounds like kids just having good clean fun making it tough on the visitors -- thats WHAT i call home field advantage
I dont think running up and down the side line is good sportsmanship at all. Its very distracting to the officials as well as players and fans. Not to mention the possiblity of one of us running into them. It was really no big deal, they complied to our wishes. I was just wonder how everyone else would have handled it.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,
OOO?
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Ooo

Overly Officious Official
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,
Call it what you want, but I dont think our commissioner would have agreed with that type of stuff.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Once last statement

Maybe I am being anal about the situation, but this is what I found in the rule book. I believe running up and down the sidelines chanting at the visiting team qualifies for the statement in bold. Trust me, if you were there, you would agree!!!

SECTION 8 OFFICIALS' ADDITIONAL DUTIES
The officials shall:
ART. 1 . . . Penalize unsporting conduct by any player, coach, substitute, team attendant or follower.
NOTE: The home management or game committee is responsible for spectator behavior, insofar as it can reasonably be expected to control the spectators. The officials may call fouls on either team if its supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the game. Discretion must be used in calling such fouls, however, lest a team be unjustly penalized. When team supporters become unruly or interfere with the orderly progress of the game, the officials shall stop the game until the host management resolves the situation and the game can proceed in an orderly manner. In the absence of a designated school representative, the home coach shall serve as the host management.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

but you said they werent unruly or interfereing -- if its the same gym you and bad news are talking about then how will you run into them? and how are they distracting you? I just dont see it sorry -- maybe i am missing a detail -- but if you saw fit then fine but I agree from what I have read here that this is a case of being OOO -- my 2 cents.

Quote:
They were having fun and not really bothering anyone, just annoying as heck!!!!
being annoying is not illeagle and its not for you to be the social police -- disrespectful, crude, vulgar -- yes -- annoying no.

1 aside --

couple years ago I was working a BJV game with a certain female official -- during warm ups the gym had the usual type of loud pop/hiphop music on and my partner didnt like the music. She starts ranting and raving that they should turn it down if not off and goes to the table to complain about the music -- I told her it really wasnt our place to be telling them to turn the music down or off and she insisted that it was -- well the BV coach is very active in the world of basketball and even comes in to our meetings to field questions from us as to what the heck coaches are thinking and we in turn hear some of his gripes. about 30 seconds in to her rant and rave about how horrible the music is and it should be turned off he cuts her off and says "If you dont like it then leave and I have no problem your partner working the game by himself." -- now she has put us is a very difficult position - WHAT CAN WE DO? NOTHING -- that was where I really learned that as an official there are some things we have no control over and should not try and exert it because all we dug was a hole. My partner had to tuck tail turn and walk back to the other side of the gym teed off -- and it showed the whole game -- i had her again later in the year and I respectfully turned that game back.

the point is -- from what you said I think you were imposing your likes and dislikes on the game rather that officiating -- unless fans interrupt a game or are way out of line I allow them to be FANS -- this sounds like harmless fun -- just my 2 cents once again and I disagree with what you did but thats fine -- part of it is not agreeing all the time with everyone

Last edited by deecee; Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 12:50pm.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I should have added until they started running up and down the sidelines and chanting. But, I guess it was my judgement and you had to have been there. Thanks for all of the insight in this matter.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think that you made a big deal out of nothing.
The only action that I would have been concerned with is if these fans wanted to run down the sideline, turn the corner, and jump up and down and make noise behind the basket while the opponent was shooting FTs. Even then, I would only have moved them back to the side of the court if there were no bleachers behind the basket for them to sit/stand in. No being on the court on either endline.