Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 08:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

You make a good point, but......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Let me ask a difficult question.

In front of you is the media - Sportscenter, the internet, etc.
To the left of you is college conferences where the coaches make big money and their jobs depend on winning games.
To the right of you is a part time official who makes between 1-2 thousand a game and is an independant contractor.
Behind you is your family that depends on you to bring home the bacon.

So they guy/gal on your right makes a mistake, which they should not make, and the people in front of you advertise it. The guy/gal on your left is talking directly to your boss because they just got hosed and their job could be in jeopardy. You have your family behind you who depends on you to keep the electricity on. When the hammer falls, which it must because the guy/gal on the right is obviously wrong, do you tell the people in front of you and the guy/gal on the left of you? Or do you say it will be kept in house, but the guys in front of you show highlights of the guy on the right of you officiating games like nothing has happened and the guy/gal on the left of you sees it to? You must also keep in mind, this is a million (at least) dollar business.

I think it is a slippery slope and obviously many D1 conferences (in multiple sports), the NFL and the NBA do not mind coming out and saying what the punishment will be. When a coach gets fired, when a player gets a technical in a game or when a university scandal occurs, it is all right there in the open. Is it so wrong to be open about the punishment handed down to an official?

Just playing devil's advocate.
When a coach makes a coaching mistake, no one in the school administration goes to the media and rips their coaching staff for it. If a coach misses out on a big time recruit, we do not hear the fall out behind the scenes. There are a lot of mistakes others around the game might make and we never hear anything about how their bosses fell about it. Now I am not saying I always agree that complete silence is the way to go, but I do like the way Mr. Boudreaux decided to handle it. Also if someone is taken off of a game or suspended, why does the general public need to know? I would agree if a rule is completely missed I have no problem with that being made public. But if a simple judgment is missed, that is another story.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:28pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
When a coach makes a coaching mistake, no one in the school administration goes to the media and rips their coaching staff for it. If a coach misses out on a big time recruit, we do not hear the fall out behind the scenes. There are a lot of mistakes others around the game might make and we never hear anything about how their bosses fell about it. Now I am not saying I always agree that complete silence is the way to go, but I do like the way Mr. Boudreaux decided to handle it. Also if someone is taken off of a game or suspended, why does the general public need to know? I would agree if a rule is completely missed I have no problem with that being made public. But if a simple judgment is missed, that is another story.

Peace
Just to be fair, if a coach starts to mess up he/she will get fired and it will hit the media outlets. Think about this, keeping mistakes in house might mean the NCAA committee will look at a loss differently than if the conference came out and talked about a situation.

I have said this before, there is a lot of money involved and our (officials) mistakes will start to be made public more and more.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:30pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Was this the Duke/UConn men's game?
Do I know you?

Uh, yeah that was the game. I think you know the official I'm talking about, but I will tell you this. One of the officials went on to the NBA the next season so it wasn't him messing up.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Just to be fair, if a coach starts to mess up he/she will get fired and it will hit the media outlets. Think about this, keeping mistakes in house might mean the NCAA committee will look at a loss differently than if the conference came out and talked about a situation.

I have said this before, there is a lot of money involved and our (officials) mistakes will start to be made public more and more.
My point is it is a different set of circumstances. An official does not make the kind of money and is not personally as responsible to one entity as a coach is. Yes, we have an important job, but they do not announce when we get hired and they certainly do not announce when we get fired.

You know who the top officials are. They work the tournament every season. I also find it interesting you do not hear a lot of talk about mistakes during the NCAA Tournaments.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:42pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
They work the tournament every season. I also find it interesting you do not hear a lot of talk about mistakes during the NCAA Tournaments.

Peace
You are right, but let's not be gullable. Where do you think they get all the footage for the NCAA film for the clinic? That says a lot about the system.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:43pm
Huck Finn

If you had millions riding on the job you do, would you put an official on blast if you thought he/she cost you?
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If you had millions riding on the job you do, would you put an official on blast if you thought he/she cost you?
If I am relying on an official's call, then I have bigger problems if you ask me.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 08:34am
Lighten up, Francis.

Apparently, Mr. Lopes' career isn't over after all. I'm pretty sure he worked the Duke game last night.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 09:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Apparently, Mr. Lopes' career isn't over after all. I'm pretty sure he worked the Duke game last night.
Yeah, and they had a clock screw-up in that one too.

More to follow......
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Why should the crew get penalized if the wrong decision on the play was Lopes' alone? It was his decision only on the replay, being the R.
The part of my post you quoted was in reference to the misapplication of a rule and not a judgement call. If a rule is misapplied the crew as a whole will usually take the rap, because someone on the crew is expected to step in and interpret the rule correctly for the crew.

I agree with you though in the case of a judgement call on the part of one official the whole crew should not take the blame.