The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Schoolin' from officials

The City of Buffalo finally has JV basketball. For the girls, trust me, this is real "instructional level" ball. I've noticed that some of the refs, during the course of the games, will say things like "watch the hand check" etc. to some of the more rambunctious girls. Good idea or not?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 03:45pm
M.A.S.H.

I think so, I'm always talking to the players. Try talking them out of things and get some type of flow to the game.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnier
The City of Buffalo finally has JV basketball. For the girls, trust me, this is real "instructional level" ball. I've noticed that some of the refs, during the course of the games, will say things like "watch the hand check" etc. to some of the more rambunctious girls. Good idea or not?
Straight up, hands off, clear the lane, etc.. It's done around here a lot. Varsity to 2nd grade, boys and girls. You do it when both teams or a match up are kind of going at it.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

There is nothing wrong with attempting ot talk player out of possible fould or violations. Especially at the instrutional stage. Tell the coach if your having a problem with a kid in the lane, most will help. No one wants to call 30 plus fouls in these kind of games. Preventive officiating can help.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

I talk to players at all levels. Get out of the lane, move your feet etc. I do this alot, especially at the beginning of games to set the tone. I ALWAYS talk to players before calling 3 seconds.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

We encourage it.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:39pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I try to nip it in the bud early by talking to the players as is described above. "Get out of there 32" or "watch your hands 5" help set the tone early. Only once did a coach ask me not to "coach" his players. I told him I was just trying to prevent future problems...... some folks just can't be helped!
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 09:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

I talk all the time. If I can prevent a silly foul or violation, I want to do that. If they do not listen, then I put air in the whistle. But talking is always a good thing. They need to know some of what you are thinking.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Not to sound like a broken record, but I talk all the time too. Even in my pregame I tell my partners to try to talk them out of the lane and talk their hands off of them. I'm always saying, "don't hold", "get out 24", "don't reach", etc. Anytime you can talk them out of it you are better off.

Occasionally, I've had coaches even tell me "stop talking to my players". Of course I oblige - and start blowing my whistle.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

I talk all the time too, I talk all the time too, I talk all the time too, I talk all the time too. (Broken Record . . . )

NO . . . I really do. Nobody paid admission to watch me blow my whistle and waddle to the table to report fouls, or call violations. I will talk the entire game, and in so doing, can help establish a flow. I agree with virtually everything that has been posted above.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

I like this idea rather than the 60 calls we had in a JV game the other night. Single OT game before I was going to do the varsity games. I knew one of the JV officials and I told them to talk to the players more. Its better than 95 freethrows in a JV boys game.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

I like it too and always have a positive comment to those officials after each game. I'm a rugby judge and this kind of preemptive refereeing is done in that sport too; just like in basketball, the input from refs can make for a game with more flow and less chaos. Thanks.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnier
Called Preventive Officiating!!!! Do it all the time until I get tired of talking!