The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

IW on Free Throw

First of all, let me start by saying that I finally registered on this site today, but I've been learning a lot from all the more experienced officials here for quite some time. I'm in college, and working Intramural and Rec. League games right now (both of which use NFHS rules), and am in the process of getting registered with my local association for next season. So to everyone out there that faithfully reads and responds to question, even though the answer may be simple or obvious to you, just know that there are people out here who are truly grateful for your support. Now, for a basketball question:

During an Intramural game (and spare me the comments about how you all hate Intramural games), player drives to the basket, is fouled, ball goes in. I'm L, so I go and report the foul, and become new T. My partner puts the ball at the disposal of the shooter. Ball leaves the shooters hands, and hits the backboard, then the rim, and is up in the air when my partner sounds his whistle. He runs to me and says, "The ball didn't hit the rim....did it?" I tell him that it did.

My question is two-fold:

1.) Isn't it T's responsibility to sound the whistle and call the violation when/if it occurs?

2.) Who gets the ball after the IW?

It seems like I remember a case play with almost this exact situation, and it was an alternating-possession throw-in. That's what I told my partner, and that's what we did. Let me know if I got it right, and also, I'd appreciate a Rule or Case Book citation if possible (I've searched, but can't seem to find it.)

Thanks
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:33pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref

My question is two-fold:

1.) Isn't it T's responsibility to sound the whistle and call the violation when/if it occurs?

2.) Who gets the ball after the IW?

It seems like I remember a case play with almost this exact situation, and it was an alternating-possession throw-in. That's what I told my partner, and that's what we did. Let me know if I got it right, and also, I'd appreciate a Rule or Case Book citation if possible (I've searched, but can't seem to find it.)

Thanks
1) Yes

2) AP throw-in. There was no team control. You handled it correctly.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

yes you are right first of all it is T's call on whether or not the ball hit the rim. L should not even be looking up there, he should have his nose buried in the paint. in terms of the call, if the ball went in you would count the point and it would be team B's ball for throw in from anywhere along the baseline. if it did not go in, then you have an inadvertant whistle and would inbound at point of interruption. in this case there is no obvious point of interruption so you would have a jump ball...sorry don't have a citation, but that is the correct application of IA and point of interruption..
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:40pm
In Memoriam

Rule 4-36-2(c).
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Jurassic! I look under everything except Point of Interruption.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

i think i read somewhere that if the lead does this the trail has a right to slap him and challenge him to a duel -- i think 4.36.3(d) -- its there in fine print.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct on both the mechanic and the ruling after the whistle.
Here are the rule citations you requested:

1. According to the NFHS Officials Manual on page 41:
#241 For all free throws, the Trail official will be responsible for:
c. Noting whether the ball goes through, contacts, or misses the ring.

2. After an accidental whistle, the ball is put back in play by using the POI rule (4-36)
RULE 4
SECTION 36 POINT OF INTERRUPTION
ART. 1 . . . Method of resuming play due to an official's accidental whistle, an interrupted game, as in 5-4-3, a correctable error, as in 2-10-6, a double personal, double technical or simultaneous foul, as in 4-19-8 and 4-19-10.
ART. 2 …Play shall be resumed by one of the following:

a. A throw-in to the team that was in control at a spot nearest to where the ball was located when the stoppage occurred.
b. A free throw or a throw-in when the stoppage occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such.
c. An alternating-possession throw-in when the point of interruption is such that neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved.