The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Time Constraints

I go to a small 1A school in a few weeks where I work 2 JV games. Since it is a 1A school, they only play in their main gym, because the back gym is like a crackerbox. The only problem is, the first game starts at 4 p.m. and we have to complete 2 JV games by 6:15. They use a 5 minute half-time, and 10 minutes in between games. How would you guys call these games?
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 10:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why are you officiating games with these constraints?

Peace
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Geez, Rut, not all of us turn our nose up to games because the scenario is less than ideal. What a pompous statement. I'd go ahead and ref them and call them the best I could. I would not 'pass' on calls. If you get behind schedule, so what? Are they going to stop the game? One of the worst things you could do is 'pass' on calls and get everybody upset. In the end, that will serve nobody.

Last edited by mplagrow; Sun Jan 21, 2007 at 10:48pm.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Officiate them exactly the same way you officiate all your other games. The fact that the games are scheduled at times too close to one another is the school's problem, not yours.

The one thing you absolutely should NEVER do is have, "Lots and lots of fouls that we passed on because the clock was ticking on toward the next game."

That's unfair to all involved in the game, and immoral as an official. Work your game. Forget about what time it is.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33
I go to a small 1A school in a few weeks where I work 2 JV games. Since it is a 1A school, they only play in their main gym, because the back gym is like a crackerbox. The only problem is, the first game starts at 4 p.m. and we have to complete 2 JV games by 6:15. They use a 5 minute half-time, and 10 minutes in between games. How would you guys call these games?
I would call the games EXACTLY like I call any game. If they want to shorten the games, I don't care. But I'm not going to change my officiating one bit.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2007, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully the coaches will remind the teams to keep it clean because of time. Call what you have to and don't pass to the point it gets sloppy. I've seen that and it is not pretty nor does it make you look professional. Try to use the advantage as much as you can. If a small thing has no bearing and no advantage is gained, consider that and let it go. I once had a JV game that had 5 players on the home team and 6 for visitors. Even though the schools were big rivals, they knew they couldn't afford many fouls. I tossed the ball at 6:00pm and I was in my truck driving home at 6:50. On the other hand, I once had 1 hour and 45 minute JV game because my partner called everything he even thought he might see! The AD, V coaches, and fans were all going nuts! You certainly don't want that, either.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 12:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Geez, Rut, not all of us turn our nose up to games because the scenario is less than ideal. What a pompous statement. I'd go ahead and ref them and call them the best I could. I would not 'pass' on calls. If you get behind schedule, so what? Are they going to stop the game? One of the worst things you could do is 'pass' on calls and get everybody upset. In the end, that will serve nobody.
I did not recall I was turning my nose up to anything. I was asking why was he was put in that situation? Was there a special event the school was trying to get to? Was this a usual event? He did not describe why he was in that situation and I wanted to know why. Was he told to get the game over by a certain time?

I am sorry you do not have the capacity to see what I was asking. But hey, I guess I should sometimes consider the source.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I did not recall I was turning my nose up to anything. I was asking why was he was put in that situation? Was there a special event the school was trying to get to? Was this a usual event? He did not describe why he was in that situation and I wanted to know why. Was he told to get the game over by a certain time?

I am sorry you do not have the capacity to see what I was asking. But hey, I guess I should sometimes consider the source.

Peace
No, there is nothing special going on. That's how it was the last time I did it, too. That game was fairly clean, and I was working with a guy from the town where the games were played. I think we called a total of about 25 fouls in both games, with me calling about 75% of them, and most of the fouls I called were against the home team, because he didnt appear to see any fouls the home team made... and the guy is probably in his mid-50's and has bad mechanics... it made me sick
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN
The one thing you absolutely should NEVER do is have, "Lots and lots of fouls that we passed on because the clock was ticking on toward the next game." That's unfair to all involved in the game, and immoral as an official.
You've made your point. Can you just give it a rest?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 12:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No, there is nothing special going on. That's how it was the last time I did it, too. That game was fairly clean, and I was working with a guy from the town where the games were played. I think we called a total of about 25 fouls in both games, with me calling about 75% of them, and most of the fouls I called were against the home team, because he didnt appear to see any fouls the home team made... and the guy is probably in his mid-50's and has bad mechanics... it made me sick
Are you saying that there was nothing holding you back other than a starting time? If that is the case, then call your game. You might decide to not call ticky-tack fouls in the effort of time that is up to you. I have never been in a situation where anyone told me "We must start a game a specific time or else." If that is not the case, then you are not the one that set the schedule, so I would not worry about it. All you can do is call the game and if players commit obvious fouls and violations, call them and let the chips fall where they may.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I agree with JRut - call your game and fagetaboutit! If the game goes beyond your curfew what's the worst that could happen? The administration stops the game? They not invite you back? Beautiful! You don't need that headache anyway, IMO. I probably would be a little quicker getting players in and out and the ball in play - I might do a few things that "bend" the mechanics to speed things up a tad (like coming to a complete stop to report fouls, etc.) but I would certainly not let the time constraints effect how I am calling the game.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:29am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
I would call the games EXACTLY like I call any game. If they want to shorten the games, I don't care.
This is what I think, too. If they want to play a running clock in the second game, terrific. Otherwise, they get a normal game.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:31am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN
That's unfair to all involved in the game, and immoral as an official.
It's not unfair to all involved, if that's what's expected in the first place. And your comment about morality is pompous, at best.

Would I like to officiate under those conditions and with those expectations? No. Is Juulie going to hell because she did? No. Relax a little.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Call the game as you would any other. If you have intentions of doing anything else, turn the game back in.

The world will not end if the varsity game doesn't start at 6:30.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Burden, Cainey, Cedar Vale?

(Oops - SE Kansas) Feel free to ignore this post.

Last edited by SamIAm; Mon Jan 22, 2007 at 12:44pm.