The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mechanics Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31084-mechanics-question.html)

Teigan Sun Jan 21, 2007 03:49pm

Mechanics Question

In Federation 2 Person, when a violation ends in the result of a made basket, does the ball have to be handled?

JLMatthew Sun Jan 21, 2007 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teigan
In Federation 2 Person, when a violation ends in the result of a made basket, does the ball have to be handled?

?...do you mean as in goal tending or BI where part of the penalty is points to the offended team? Do you mean handled by the official before the throw-in?

Scrapper1 Sun Jan 21, 2007 03:55pm

Quote:

when a violation ends in the result of a made basket,

You mean like after defensive BI/GT? If so, then the answer to your question is yes, for 2-person or 3-person.

Teigan Sun Jan 21, 2007 03:55pm

I mean if someone travels on a layup, and the basket goes in....Do you have to handle the ball prior to it being thrown in!

JLMatthew Sun Jan 21, 2007 03:57pm

Quote:

I mean if someone travels on a layup, and the basket goes in....Do you have to handle the ball prior to it being thrown in!

Anytime an official blows a whistle an official must handle it before it becomes live again. I believe there is an exception in FIBA...I could be wrong though.

JRutledge Sun Jan 21, 2007 03:58pm

Quote:

Handled by whom? The official or the player?

Peace

Teigan Sun Jan 21, 2007 04:03pm

the official:)

JRutledge Sun Jan 21, 2007 04:08pm

All basic rule sets in the United States (NF, NCAA and Pro Ball), the officials handle the ball on every dead ball after a violation. Who cares what FEEBLE does? :D

Peace

BillyMac Sun Jan 21, 2007 04:38pm

"In The Good Old Days"

From Teigan:

"I mean if someone travels on a layup, and the basket goes in, do you have to handle the ball prior to it being thrown in"

For those of us who have been around more than twenty-five years and still have the faculties to remember things from "The Good Old Days":

Remember, more than twenty-years ago, when a ball went in the basket and the basket would not count, i.e. travel before the basket, offensive basket interference, offensive free throw violation, etc., the proper mechanic at the time was to give the defensive team the throw in at a spot on the new backcourt sideline at the foul line extended. The purpose of the mechanic was to let the table know that the basket didn't count. For extra credit, who can tell us when this mechanic changed ?

"Pepperridge Farm Remembers".

JLMatthew Sun Jan 21, 2007 04:48pm

"For those of us who have been around more than twenty-five years..."

Sorry man, I'm only 25 years old...I didn't know they played basketball that far back. : )

BillyMac Sun Jan 21, 2007 04:52pm

Peachbasket

I was the custodian who hung up the peachbasket for Dr.Naismith at the YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts.

eg-italy Sun Jan 21, 2007 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLMatthew
Anytime an official blows a whistle an official must handle it before it becomes live again. I believe there is an exception in FIBA...I could be wrong though.

There used to be an exception, when the throw-in was in the backcourt. It has been cancelled many years ago. After a whistle, an official must hand (or bounce) the ball to the player for the throw-in. It is not required only after a basket, if there is no substitution or time-out.

Ciao

JRutledge Sun Jan 21, 2007 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
"Pepperridge Farm Remembers".

Have you been watching Family Guy lately? :D

Peace

eg-italy Sun Jan 21, 2007 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Remember, more than twenty-years ago, when a ball went in the basket and the basket would not count, i.e. travel before the basket, offensive basket interference, offensive free throw violation, etc., the proper mechanic at the time was to give the defensive team the throw in at a spot on the new backcourt sideline at the foul line extended. The purpose of the mechanic was to let the table know that the basket didn't count. For extra credit, who can tell us when this mechanic changed?

Sometimes I say that FIBA is a bit late in getting good suggestions from the USA: for us it is still required a throw-in from the sideline in the cases you mention. Do they (and the old guys of NFHS) think that the table officials are necessarily dumb? And mark a score if they see a baseline throw-in after the official has waved off the basket?

For many years there was no baseline throw-in in FIBA, except after baskets, just for the same reason. Players still can't have jerseys numbered 1, 2 and 3, in order to "avoid confusion with the table".:( I ask myself: how do they do in the USA? Are they always called back by the scorekeeper to make clear if it was "foul by number 2" or "2 free throws"? Do scorekeepers mark a foul on player #3 if they see an official who calls and signals "3 seconds"? I guess not.;)

Ciao

refnrev Sun Jan 21, 2007 06:07pm

Quote:

Teigan, You might want to work on being more detailed in your wording when posting... but I understand what you are asking.. Yes, every time.