The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

3rd man down

Did a Varsity girls game last. high exposure since it was the deffending AAA state champs and it was for first place and rubber match between the two teams. 3rd quarter 4 mins left and our 3rd man pulls a hamstring. Out for the rest of the game. Since it was a varsity double header the officials for the second game were in the locker room. We stop play and asked to have someone go get one of those officials to come out. No one came out. We continue with two officials. game goes into overtime. My other partner slips and injures himself could be a big disasster to finish with one. We finished the game out with the both of us he was able to hobble the rest of the OT. What is and is there anything that states that we had to have a third official if there were any available?

The supervisor of athletics for the county was upset that no one came out to assist us and we finished with two officials. Is there anything which states that we had to have third official.

My thoughts, if the new officials did come out he could have changed the scope and momentum of the game since he wasn't there to see how we were calling the game. I also saw the NBA finish with two officials two weeks ago.
Any thoughts?
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
What is and is there anything that states that we had to have a third official if there were any available?
If there is anything stated, it would be a state guideline. In the situation presented, I'd finish with two.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:23am
Courageous When Prudent

This would be totally up to local policy. It may even be covered in the contract between the schools and the association.

BTW, REFVA are you up north? If so I think you had the state runner-up. I'm pretty sure Princess Anne out of Va Beach is the defending AAA Girls champion.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

The way WE were calling the game

Quote:
My thoughts, if the new officials did come out he could have changed the scope and momentum of the game since he wasn't there to see how we were calling the game.
You mean you weren't enforcing certain rules?

If a new guy comes out and enforces the rules, players will adjust, they always do.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Princess Anne out of Va Beach is the defending AAA Girls champion.
it was Forest Park for 2005/2006 season..
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You mean you weren't enforcing certain rules?
We were enforcing the rule. The game flow could have changed.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Wait a Minute here. You have a man go down...and no other official will come out and assist in a marquee game? Wow. I got a problem with that. That's not right. I started my Varsity season getting to the school early...looked up and saw one official on the floor because his partner hurt his knee. I didnt need to be asked. I helped him. My varsity partner showed up a few minutes later....dressed and we did a three man JV game.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 02:55pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I see no problem with grabbing a V official. If a policy is in place, follow it. The players will adapt, totally.

Over the long term, each official will call 1/3rd of the plays. Is there that much of a difference in ability and philosophy between these two officials (injured and his sub) that 1/3rd of the game will be radically changed? I think not...
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Believe me guys. I wanted the 3rd man. I think it was important enough to warrant that 3rd man. I would have wanted someone even if it were an important game. I just want to hear everyone thoughts.

I called my assignor after the game and told him the situation. Although I haven't heard back from him yet.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I'm torn as to whether I'd want someone to join in mid-stream. I'd probably go 2-man. However, when your other partner got injured that would be a totally different situation . . . I think though, that since you reqested someone to come from the locker room to help, someone should have come. That, IMO, was unprofessional on their part.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 04:58pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
It may even be covered in the contract between the schools and the association.
Bingo. This is all contractual here (and where I've been) between the association and the league/conference. The only person who knows these details in my association is the director of the association - who negotiates, arranges, and signs these contracts.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 09:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Bingo. This is all contractual here (and where I've been) between the association and the league/conference. The only person who knows these details in my association is the director of the association - who negotiates, arranges, and signs these contracts.
I think in NCAA the teams have to approve a new ref to come in. Here's an actual scenario a good friend of mine was involved in.

He was in his first year with a mid-major D1 but had only worked the early season "exhibition" and D1 v. D2 games of a few of the schools. He was also in his 2nd or 3rd year of a D2 conference (and I'm pretty sure the same supervisor as his D1).

He had just worked a D2 game that was about 20-30 minutes from the site of a big rivalry game in his D1 conference. He had just started driving and found the game on the radio. The 'R' gets elbowed in the face at tip-off and can't continue. My buddy calls his supervisor and tells him what he heard. Supervisor tells him to head to the site and standby. He gets there and dresses out. After dressing out he said he had to wait b/c the supervisor said both team's A/D's and/or coaches had to give permission to allow him to come into to the game. They ended up giving the OK and he worked the 2nd half.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not sure what the contract states, although haven't heard back from my assignor. I'm guessing that he hasn't heard back from the supervisor of athletic becuase incident occurred friday night and school closed due to weather. He is probably waiting to hear first before he does anything.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
This would be totally up to local policy. It may even be covered in the contract between the schools and the association.

BTW, REFVA are you up north? If so I think you had the state runner-up. I'm pretty sure Princess Anne out of Va Beach is the defending AAA Girls champion.
It was Forrest Park. I think REFVA is with Quantico.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think REFVA is with Quantico.
Close, but I'm with another association. Quantico does not do School ball.