The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Don't talk to my player

I am working a rival game last night and two players who are playing hard and with great intensity. Both were getting a little aggitated. So during the dead ball period, I told them to start playing basketabll and stop with the looks at each other and continue to play hard. Just keep it under control. BOth of them nodded their heads and shook hands. The home coach goes off and starts yelling at me for talking to his player. He calls a time out and walks out towards me letting me know his displeasure for talking to his player. He continues to come towards me. I walk away to the other side of the court. He stands there staring at me. He wants an answer to his question. He went into the huddle to talk to his team. At the end of the time out, I walk over and let him know I am just keeping both players under control and left it at that. Question? Would you have talk to him during the time out or wait or just let it go?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
I am working a rival game last night and two players who are playing hard and with great intensity. Both were getting a little aggitated. So during the dead ball period, I told them to start playing basketabll and stop with the looks at each other and continue to play hard. Just keep it under control. BOth of them nodded their heads and shook hands. The home coach goes off and starts yelling at me for talking to his player. He calls a time out and walks out towards me letting me know his displeasure for talking to his player. He continues to come towards me. I walk away to the other side of the court. He stands there staring at me. He wants an answer to his question. He went into the huddle to talk to his team. At the end of the time out, I walk over and let him know I am just keeping both players under control and left it at that. Question? Would you have talk to him during the time out or wait or just let it go?
The reason I waited I figured if the game was about to start up again he wouldn't have as much time to rag on me if the game was going than during a time out.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Let me make this clear first. Part of our job is to talk to players and anyone else directly associated with the game. If a coach does not want you to talk to his players, tell him that the first time they come to you complaining about something, then you will T them if that is how he feels.

If he wanted to put on a show, I would not have talked to the coach. I would probably tell him he needs to go back to his huddle and continue coaching. Then if he says anything out of line, you have dealt with his behavior first. Do not let a coach tell you how to do your job, ever!!!!

Peace
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I completly agree with JR -- I would tell the coach if that is something you want fine -- but the first complaint I get out of you or one of your players will earn a T. then just move on.

guaranteed first time he yells -- "3 SECONDS" the only signal he will see that follows my whistle is my hands forming a nice little T shape to indicate that he is a "Total jackazz."
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:54am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
The home coach goes off and starts yelling at me for talking to his player.
"Fine, Coach. Then don't talk to me for the rest of the night."
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He wants an answer to his question.
I don't see in your description that he asked you a question.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Me (to coach): "Coach I would rather talk your player out of a bad decision instead of assessing a technical foul for making a bad one." If coach continues after this point . . . ME (to coach): "Coach, I will be certain to address any future issues as you have requested. Thank you for you input."

Next time something happens . . . TWEET! Technical Foul. Obviously no explanation needed at this point.

Last edited by bigdogrunnin; Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 02:00pm.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
First, get him off the court - "coach, I can't have you on the floor, you know that".

Then get him to stop yelling - "Coach, I'm going to talk to you man to man, there's no need for you to yell at me."

Then find out what his question is - "Coach, is there a question you have for me?"

He'll probably say "Yeah, why are you talking to my player?"

Then you answer "Because it's part of my job here" and walk away.

If he yells or follows you then T him.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 02:21pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
First, get him off the court - "coach, I can't have you on the floor, you know that".

Then get him to stop yelling - "Coach, I'm going to talk to you man to man, there's no need for you to yell at me."

Then find out what his question is - "Coach, is there a question you have for me?"

He'll probably say "Yeah, why are you talking to my player?"

Then you answer "Because it's part of my job here" and walk away.

If he yells or follows you then T him.

Dan:

Great post, I could not have said it any better myself.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Dan:

Great post, I could not have said it any better myself.

MTD, Sr.
Geeze Mark, I'm honored...although I'm sure you would have found a way to say it using at least 500 more words

Anyway, I'm going to light a candle for you at my J Dallas Shirley temple.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar situation not long ago. I called a player for palming the ball twice in the first 4 or 5 minutes of game. While standing in front of the coach during a dead ball, I asked the coach if this was normally a problem for this kid to palm the ball. The coach's response was: "You referee and I'll coach". I didn't expect that response since there had been no problems up to this point. I said: "Understood". I figured there is no point in complaining about his response although I felt it was unwarranted. I just figured if he came looking to talk about something later in the game, there wasn't going to be a lot of dialogue from me.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
I had a similar situation not long ago. I called a player for palming the ball twice in the first 4 or 5 minutes of game. While standing in front of the coach during a dead ball, I asked the coach if this was normally a problem for this kid to palm the ball. The coach's response was: "You referee and I'll coach". I didn't expect that response since there had been no problems up to this point. I said: "Understood". I figured there is no point in complaining about his response although I felt it was unwarranted. I just figured if he came looking to talk about something later in the game, there wasn't going to be a lot of dialogue from me.
As an official who also coaches, I think that was an appropriate response from the coach. If he's palming the ball, call the palm, and if someone asks you a question, answer it, but there is no need to make small talk with the coach or a player about basketball skills. It does not concern us as officials if a player is having problems doing anything basketball related, as long as we make the necessary observations and are aware of it. Bottom line: we're paid to referee and not to coach, at any level, and as a coach I might resent that comment because it can be interpreted as a swipe at his coaching ability. The coach's response was terse, but it was correct, this is how we get ourselves into trouble.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
I'll bet what happened at some point (or more than once) in his coaching career, some referee said to him, "You coach and I'll referee." He's just been waiting to turn that around. As for discussing the call, if the coach doesn't want to talk about a call against his team, I'm not going to bring it up either.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Geeze Mark, I'm honored...although I'm sure you would have found a way to say it using at least 500 more words
And I'm sure you would have used much more "colorful" language!

I agree with Dan. Walk the coach back to the bench, let him say his piece. At the point he stops or asks you a question, tell him, "Coach, I told both players to knock it off and play ball. It's part of officiating. If you don't want me talking to your players, that's fine. I'll just hit him with the foul or the T next time." Turn and walk away. If he chases you, pop him.

But do not allow a coach to come onto the floor to confront you.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:56pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
As an official who also coaches, I think that was an appropriate response from the coach. If he's palming the ball, call the palm, and if someone asks you a question, answer it, but there is no need to make small talk with the coach or a player about basketball skills. It does not concern us as officials if a player is having problems doing anything basketball related, as long as we make the necessary observations and are aware of it. Bottom line: we're paid to referee and not to coach, at any level, and as a coach I might resent that comment because it can be interpreted as a swipe at his coaching ability. The coach's response was terse, but it was correct, this is how we get ourselves into trouble.
That's basically my take too. Good post imo.