The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

What would you do.

Stole this from our local forum:

Team A has in-bounded the ball after a made basket. They request a time out as soon as they have player control after the throw-in was complete. There was 4.1 seconds on the clock at the time out. After the time out they take the ball on the endline and throw the ball to another player across the key who is also out of bounds. This is where it gets interesting. The throw-in violation was not called and the ball was allowed to be in-bounded. A2 was fouled as soon as they received the pass. When the foul was called the official that was with the in-bound play ran over and told his partner that they had a spot throw-in and that they couldn't run the play they had just done. Correctable error? Was it too late to fix the mistake after the clock had started? What would you do? Whatever your choice, you and your crew look like dolts!
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Not a correctable error, but I think this is fixable (not by rule). Most important thing is to get it right and I do not think it would be wrong to fix it at this point. I would just "assume" that the other official came in and realized the violation when it occured.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 04:32am
Official Forum Member

Too late to go back

Ed posted this a few days ago.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 07:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Not a correctable error, but I think this is fixable (not by rule). Most important thing is to get it right and I do not think it would be wrong to fix it at this point. I would just "assume" that the other official came in and realized the violation when it occured.
Disagree completely. You screwed up. You missed the call. It's now too late to do anything. You can't go back and give the call CPR and bring it back to life either. Just admit it and take your lumps. This is no time to start making up your own rules...especially when you can't really give any kind of rationale, if asked, for for going back to do what you're recommending.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Disagree completely. You screwed up. You missed the call. It's now too late to do anything. You can't go back and give the call CPR and bring it back to life either. Just admit it and take your lumps. This is no time to start making up your own rules...especially when you can't really give any kind of rationale, if asked, for for going back to do what you're recommending.
Agreed. Just shallow it and try to get the next one right
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 08:53am
Huck Finn

Your choice is to do nothing. It is too late.

I had this happen to me this season and it seemed like everything went into slow motion. It was one of those nights where there wasn't any other games being played and the two teams didn't like each other. The coaches had actually almost got in a fist fight last summer. The coaches didn't want to play each other, but the ADs said the games would be played. When I made the call, even the officials in the crowd (on the endline) paused for a second. I knew something wasn't right because I had just told the kid it was a spot throw in.

BTW, I have the rematch at the other school this coming Thursday. This assigner has really been good to me considering I'm new. Maybe I can ref a little.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

If it was a spot throw-in, and you missed the violation . . . NOTHING can be done. Once the throw-in is touched by a player inbounds, the throw-in is OVER. You cannot go back and correct this by rule.

Last edited by bigdogrunnin; Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 11:07am.