The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 01:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sometimes I wonder

If you sat down and talked to one of the fans and showed them in the rules where it says a defensive player does not have to have his feet on the floor to draw a charge, would they believe the book?
If you showed them in the rule book where it says a three second count is terminated during a shot, would they believe the book?
If you showed them in the rule book where it says touching another player does not necessarily equal a foul; would they believe the book?

Ah, but then again, we wouldn't have nearly as much fun.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

In my experience they will just ignore you and the book. I've done that with friends and family when we are watching a game on TV and have a disagreement on a rule. They will REFUSE to even look at the rule book I am holding!
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Ignorance is BLISS! Why concern yourself with finding out what is correct, when you can listen to someone else "tell" you what is correct . . . even when they are clearly wrong!
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

That's why I try to sit away from the other parents at my kids games. They like to ask me a question about a rule or call and then disagree with me. Sigh!!

Friday night a girl from the other team stole the ball from my Daughter's team and I knew she had to be close to the endline....way down there, but there was never a whistle. One of our parents went bezerk as "that girl was soooo out of bounds". They looked at me and asked what's wrong with my friend? I simply stated "from way over here, you think you can better see what that official right on top of the play can see"? They responded that "the ref wasn't looking". More sign.

I've said several times before that they would enjoy the game alot more if they understood the rules.