The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Well, this post goes beyond just shoes, so that's why I made it separate....

Anywho, I'd like to get a few new "outfits" for the upcoming season, and I'm curious if anyone knows a website where I could get such items as shirts and (polyester) pants, in addition to such accessories as a magnetic pre-game board.

I'm aware of such sites as calltheobvious.com and Officiating.com's online store. If anyone is aware of a good way to get quality equipment at a decent price through other means, please share the wealth!

P.S. Is it uncommon to replace your gear after only one season? I'm a first-year going to second-year official, and my pants look like they've been through the war. Any washing suggestions? I'm an unmarried male who does clothes in only two categories....white and not white, and I wash eveything in warm water
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

My wife gets a few years out of all my clothes, but she is anal about the laundry...

Try http://www.refandsport.com. It is a local joint, they may not have the bball catalog on line yet (they go by seasons), but call them and they will get one to you.

Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Here's a website for ordering officiating items. It's http://www.honigs.com

I'm not familiar with the sites you mentioned, therefore my frame of reference in terms of quality and cost comparison is limited.

In my opinion, after a year, you should only have to replace shoes. The other items: shirts and pants should last for a long while unless of course, your weight increases. If you only had one shirt and one pair of pants and had a demanding schedule, I can see why your attire looked as though it had been through war. Not knowing what your economic situation is, I would advise you to invest in at least 3 new shirts and two pair of pants. A few of your games ought to pay for this cost.

Add a third category to you wash cycle: Officiating clothes. Wash them separately, in cold water. If you must dry, use the permanent press cycle or air-dry cycle. I find they hold up better if you simple take them from the wash and hang-dry. Good luck in your second season.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 01:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Well, this post goes beyond just shoes, so that's why I made it separate....

Anywho, I'd like to get a few new "outfits" for the upcoming season, and I'm curious if anyone knows a website where I could get such items as shirts and (polyester) pants, in addition to such accessories as a magnetic pre-game board.

I'm aware of such sites as calltheobvious.com and Officiating.com's online store. If anyone is aware of a good way to get quality equipment at a decent price through other means, please share the wealth!

P.S. Is it uncommon to replace your gear after only one season? I'm a first-year going to second-year official, and my pants look like they've been through the war. Any washing suggestions? I'm an unmarried male who does clothes in only two categories....white and not white, and I wash eveything in warm water

Danvrapp,

Honigs is the only place I shop for hoops and diamonds.

http://www.honigs.com/

Two three day delivery. College and HS stuff.
Haven't been disappointed.
Nice people.
Only this year's shoes were bought somewhere else since I started.

That polyester stuff washes easily and should last 3-4 years... mileage may vary. (Take the kleenex outa the pockets.)

mick
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Dan,
The sites mentioned about uniform supplies are all good, Purchase Officials Supplies (calltheobvious.com), Honigs, etc. Invest in 2 maybe 3 sets of uniforms, especially if you are single and wash your own clothes. More than one pair of shoes is also recommended. (Order some Griffin's shoe polish or something that will put a shine on your shoes that will take away that grayish look. Let the previous night's pair of shoes air out and remove the rubber insoles (i.e. SOF Athletic's Plus, etc.) I also use shoe trees for my shoes(plastic ones at Wal-Mart work well). Wash your uniform in cold water and either air dry (by hanging them up) or on low heat and wash them separatly from you other laundry. (I too had to wash my uniforms for awhile and making it an extra load was a pain, but you don't want other clothes to possibly bleed onto your shirt.)
Look the part, dress sharp. Have a good second season!!

--Fox40
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 01:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

First let me say I have no affiliation with any retail entity. I used to buy Sansabelt slacks, but I found a great substitute. JCPenney's has a polyester slack that I found in one of their sale catalogs last year where two pair sold for less than $40 for both (you had to buy two to get that price). Plus, they were already hemmed, which some of the others don't include.

I recently bought a pair of the new Lamisil rubber shoe inserts for wearing to the office and they feel great. I am considering buying another pair for my ref shoes. They cost me about $14 per pair.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Lightbulb The Officials New Clothing

I go a little crazy when it comes to referee clothing. As far as taking care of my equipment I have a program that I will share with you including some websites to purchase merchandise.As far as purchasing my clothing everything is Black and White. Meaning, I only buy Black jockey straps, Black socks,Black compression shorts and tights,and Black undershirts.With this process I am able to wash all of these items with my Black and White shirts together.These items are only washed and rinsed in cold water.White clothes seperately of course.White clothes hot water wash and cold water rinse with liquid detergent and Clorox bleach.I only wash on the gentle cycle, and I use liquid detergents(Tide,Clorox2,and allways use Downy). My pants I never put in the machine(Too many lint balls)I send my pants to the dry cleaners.Shoes:The new patent leather by Converse,2 pairs one for indoors and one for outdoors.Runin Ref by Converse Mid-Cut 2 pairs, they take Leather Luster real good plus they are only for outdoors.I also have 2 pairs of Converse Black and White shoes low-cut for recreation games(they too take leather luster real well) Now here are some good websites for equipment.
http://www.erefstore.com
http://www.HoningsWhistleStop.com
http://www.officialswear.com
http://www.sportsofficials.com
http://www.lesterupstatesports.com.
http://www.PioneerSports.com

Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 06:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

BTW - Jockey brand makes some briefs in black that are specifically designed for wearing during sports. (Juulie - stop reading now) They have a "special" front flap design that, well, shall we say, prevents flopping, similar to a jockstrap.

I bought them at a Jockey factory outlet store and I believe they sell them on their website, although I haven't checked in some time.

I also highly recommend compression shorts. The nice thing about wearing black underneath is that if you split your pants, no one notices but you.

Yeah - suuuuuuuuure.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Smile hoops and diamonds

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:
[i]

Mick, does your wife appreciate getting all that jewelry?

Chuck
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Wink unmentionables. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
BTW - Jockey brand makes some briefs in black that are specifically designed for wearing during sports. (Juulie - stop reading now) They have a "special" front flap design that, well, shall we say, prevents flopping, similar to a jockstrap.

I also highly recommend compression shorts.
Mark, why do you need the "special" flap if you're also wearing compression shorts? I wear compression shorts too, and the only flopping in my games is done by lazy defenders.

Chuck
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 09:12pm
In Memoriam

Re: hoops and diamonds

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
[i]

Mick, does your wife appreciate getting all that jewelry?

Chuck
We share the wealth....
31 years in 7 days.

Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Sounds like you only have one set. That just won't do. I would recommend at least three sets. Alternate them and you'll get as much wear as you would from 5 single sets. Washing them every night takes it's toll. Two pairs of shoes is also a good idea. Two pairs will last as long as 3 single pairs.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

I also highly recommend compression shorts. The nice thing about wearing black underneath is that if you split your pants, no one notices but you.

Yeah - suuuuuuuuure.
I've told this story before. My fly ripped on a brand
new pair of sans-o-belts during the first qtr of a girls
game. It wasn't long before everyone in the entire gym
was snickering, black compression shorts notwithstanding.
I normally carry an extra pair of pants & shirt, but for
some reason that night the extra pants were not in my
bag. The girls were great about it. Towards the end of
the game some bench warmers were getting their time. We
were lining up for free throws and one of the subs kind
of pointed at my "area", mumbling that I should check the
barn door. In unison 5 starters said "He knows, he knows!"
Now I carry about 12 pounds of safety pins.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Sounds like you only have one set. That just won't do. I would recommend at least three sets. Alternate them and you'll get as much wear as you would from 5 single sets. Washing them every night takes it's toll. Two pairs of shoes is also a good idea. Two pairs will last as long as 3 single pairs.
While I agree that multiple sets are a must, it is more for efficiency rather than longevity. A given pair of pants and shirt will last a certain number of games no matter what pattern of wear you choose. Wearing daily and alternating between two uniforms would be no different that just wearing a single uniform but working every other day. Each uniform will last the same number of games. It really doesn't matter frequency at which they are worn. Each washing does take it's toll, but you wash the uniform once per game/day worked. 50 washings per shirt is the same no matter how many other shirts you mix in to the rotation or how long you wait between washings.

Shoes, since they are not laundered MIGHT benefit from alternating. They need to dry out and overnight may or may not be enough. If you are concerned about it, just get a room-temperature (or low heat) ski boot dryer. It will circulate air through and the shoes will be completely dry in 2-3 hours.

Personally, I have 5 pairs of pants, about 7-8 shirts (some micromesh, some standard poly), about 5 sets of black compression shorts, 5 black Dri-Fit sleeveless undershirts, 5-6 pairs of black socks, and 2 pair of shoes.

The shirts I choose to match my partner if they have only one type (I prefer the micromesh). The shoes I choose depending on the game. I have an older pair that I prefer but is getting old. I wear the newer but less perfered pair for the physically less demanding games.

I would like to try the coolmax or intera ref shirts.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Sep 13th, 2001 at 01:16 PM]
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 09:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Re: unmentionables. . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Mark, why do you need the "special" flap if you're also wearing compression shorts? I wear compression shorts too, and the only flopping in my games is done by lazy defenders.

Chuck
It's a "big" issue to me

Actually, if you asked my wife, she'd say it was overkill