The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How Long do you hold your stop sign? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30732-how-long-do-you-hold-your-stop-sign.html)

fonzzy07 Tue Jan 09, 2007 09:55pm

How Long do you hold your stop sign?

I know everyone has been talking about T's recently but I saw this in a boys V game and was woundering if the stop sign was held too long.

Coach becomes upset that the ref is not counting 5 seconds quick enough. He stops his feet and shouts 5 seconds a few times. a few seconds later another closley gaurded count is started by the ref, but not quick enough for the coach. He does the same thing. This time he gets the stop sign, only to have all 3 of his coaches on the bench do the same thing at the stop sign. The stop sign must have been held up for a good 7 - 8 seconds or so and the coach was not slowing down. Luckly for the coach the other team scored. My question is would you have held the stop sign that long, and more generally how long will you hold the stop sign, or allow a coach to go on after a stop sign.

Raymond Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:13pm

Fonzzy, I think my friend TomeGun will be stopping by this thread. :eek:

mplagrow Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzzy07
Luckly for the coach the other team scored.

I'm never in such a hurry to call a T that I'll take away a scoring situation for the opponent. I'll wait for the basket (or miss) and then call the T. I give the stop sign until one of two things happens: coach stops, or coach makes it clear he won't stop.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzzy07
This time he gets the stop sign, only to have <font color = red>all 3 of his coaches on the bench do the same thing at the stop sign.</font>

Whacko!!

The only question I'd put to myself is whether to give out one general-purpose bench technical or give each assistant a technical foul along with 3 indirect "T"s and a "buh-bye" to the head coach.

Decisions, decisions.....

You don't let assistant coaches tag-team you like that. Ever.

mplagrow Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Whacko!!

The only question I'd put to myself is whether to give out one general-purpose bench technical or give each assistant a technical foul along with 3 indirect "T"s and a "buh-bye" to the head coach.

Decisions, decisions.....

You don't let assistant coaches tag-team you like that. Ever.

Amen to that! Oh, and if he's got three assistants, I guess the whole "Batman and Robin" analogy is out. So what is it? Batman, Robin, and the Wonder Twins?

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mplagrow
So what is it? Batman, Robin, and the Wonder Twins?

Larry, Shemp and Moe....and Curley Joe.

fonzzy07 Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Fonzzy, I think my friend TomeGun will be stopping by this thread. :eek:

Sorry but BadNewsRef this means nothing to me please explain.

tomegun Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:25pm

Oh yes, the almighty stop sign! :rolleyes:

I'm just speechless. It reminds me of the robotic team I saw tonight. I don't know what else to say...it is just robotic.

tomegun Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:29pm

Anybody ever notice how a lot of talk about the stop sign goes something like this:

"I gave the coach the stop sign and he kept on so I gave him a T."

"My partner gave the coach a stop sign and a minute later the coach went crazy so my partner gave him his first T, then I gave him his second T a minute later."

Kind of amazing how that robotic bull dookie doesn't do jack squat and the coach ends up getting a T anyway!

I guess I do have something to say about it. :D

JRutledge Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:32pm

The point he is trying to make (and is joking about), some of us feel that you should not use this signal at all. I am one of those people that do not believe in that signal for the most part. I feel you should be able to convey the same thing with a quick word and no one knows you did it. Then when nothing happens, no one even realizes there was a problem. Now that is me, I do not need public displays to tell a coach to knock it off.

Peace

tomegun Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:32pm

I would only have to hold my stop sign for 1.35 seconds.

It is pretty powerful! :D

TimTaylor Wed Jan 10, 2007 01:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Larry, Shemp and Moe....and Curley Joe.

I vote for Huey, Dewey & Louie....and uncle Donald, of course.. :D

Nevadaref Wed Jan 10, 2007 02:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
The point he is trying to make (and is joking about), some of us feel that you should not use this signal at all. I am one of those people that do not believe in that signal for the most part.

That is why I would have held the stop sign for ZERO seconds.

Raymond Wed Jan 10, 2007 08:08am

I've used the stop sign only one time on a coach.

Wanna know what happened? I had to give him a Tech 5 seconds later. (it might not even have been 5 seconds)

My stop signs are verbal. "Coach, that's enough", "Coach, I hear you", "Coach, that play has nothing to do with the last play".

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 10, 2007 08:17am

My take on stop signs......

They're fine for <b>some</b> situations, not <b>all</b> situations. However, if used they are a <b>final</b> warning. Someone had better cease and desist immediately or the "T" should be given, also immediately. You sureasheck don't hold one for 7-8 seconds while a coach continues to jabber at you. You also sureasheck don't use it multi times on the same person. That's just repeating your warning while not doing anything about it. A stop sign is just the non-verbal way to say "that's enough"-- and mean it.

In other situations, an immediate "T" might be necessary with no warning, stop sign, etc involved. That depends on the circumstances and the individual tolerance level of the official(sometimes- other times are no-brainers). It certainly is never a given that a stop sign or <b>any</b> warning <b>must</b> precede a technical foul.

Jmo, while acknowledging that there are different ways to control a game. However, if you aren't following up immediately on your stop-signs, you ain't controlling the game-also imo.