The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Post dribble? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30681-post-dribble.html)

Johnny Ringo Sun Jan 07, 2007 04:32pm

Post dribble?

When I was first learning to play the game, I was told you are not allowed to dribble with two hands at the same time. This would be a double dribble.

Can a post player who catches the ball on the post put the ball on the deck with a two-handed dribble? Isn't this double dribble?

What about a player who catches an inbound pass with two hand and in continuous motion with the catch begind his dribble by forcing the ball to the flooe with both hands. Double dribble?

PAOfficial Sun Jan 07, 2007 04:42pm

Rule 4-15-1

A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats (intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor once or several times.

Rule 4-14-4-c

The dribble ends when:
c. The dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands.

mplagrow Sun Jan 07, 2007 04:45pm

IOW, you can start the dribble with both hands, but if you touch it with both hands again at the same time, it becomes a new dribble.

zebraman Sun Jan 07, 2007 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
When I was first learning to play the game, I was told you are not allowed to dribble with two hands at the same time. This would be a double dribble.

Can a post player who catches the ball on the post put the ball on the deck with a two-handed dribble? Isn't this double dribble?

What about a player who catches an inbound pass with two hand and in continuous motion with the catch begind his dribble by forcing the ball to the flooe with both hands. Double dribble?

If I understand your post correctly, what you are describing is a player starting their dribble. A player can start a dribble by pushing, throwing or batting the ball to the floor. There is no restriction that a dribble be started with one hand. After beginning a dribble, if a player touched the ball with both hands, the dribble would then be ended. If they dribbled again, that would be a double-dribble violation.

Johnny Ringo Sun Jan 07, 2007 04:54pm

Thank you all ... you would not be allowed to start the dribble by fisting it to the floor or punching it with a closed fist. That would be a violation, correct?

bob jenkins Sun Jan 07, 2007 05:24pm

Quote:

Thank you all ... you would not be allowed to start the dribble by fisting it to the floor or punching it with a closed fist. That would be a violation, correct?

Yes, but not a dribbling violation.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 07, 2007 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mplagrow
IOW, you can start the dribble with both hands, but if you touch it with both hands again at the same time, it becomes a new dribble.

So if a player starts his dribble with both hands and then catches it with both hands, that's becomes a new dribble? :p

mplagrow Sun Jan 07, 2007 07:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
So if a player starts his dribble with both hands and then catches it with both hands, that's becomes a new dribble? :p

I forgot how literal we all are here!:rolleyes:

Raymond Mon Jan 08, 2007 09:44am

Quote:

And beginning a dribble with 2-hands is not limited to post-players. Even though is would look pretty stupid for a guard to do it out in the middle of the court. :eek:

wfd21 Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:18am

How about after a player has ended their dribble, Can that player, while holding the ball with both hands, now touch the floor with the ball and bring it back up to waist level, all the time holding onto the ball. Is there a violation here? I say no violation.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfd21
How about after a player has ended their dribble, Can that player, while holding the ball with both hands, now touch the floor with the ball and bring it back up to waist level, all the time holding onto the ball. Is there a violation here? I say no violation.

4-15-4 Note 3.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
4-15-4 Note 3.

I love it when Bob just provides the rule reference and makes you go look it up yourself. :)

deecee Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:47pm

you are referring to a power dribble -- in the post players are taught the power dribble -- one hard dribble with both hands to enable them to make their "power" move -- usually into the paint or enable a drop step or up and under.