The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Question Timer fails to the start clock.....

With 2 seconds remaining in a quarter or half, the ball is inbounded and dribbled the length of the court and then there is a made shot but the timer fails to start the clock. I know a conscientious official should have looked at the clock after the inbound and/or counted down the 2 seconds. But what is the correct procedure when this error occurs?
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshock
With 2 seconds remaining in a quarter or half, the ball is inbounded and dribbled the length of the court and then there is a made shot but the timer fails to start the clock. I know a conscientious official should have looked at the clock after the inbound and/or counted down the 2 seconds. But what is the correct procedure when this error occurs?
If the official didn't have a count, then there's nothing to correct. The play stands.

It's a good opportunity to practice your game management techniques.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Shoot two FTs to begin the next quarter and don't change the arrow when you award the throw-in at the division line.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

did an AAU tourney this weekend and the timer had been tough one as s/he had to do both clock and book by herself. So in all instances where it was little time and last second offense I kept count. I told the players before inbounds you have 8 seconds dont go by the clock. Once it paid off -- 8 seconds and inbounds backcourt endline -- clock started when I was on 4 count -- and offense was is a groove and I didnt want to stop play to break their momentum. The got off a very nice shot with about 2 left on my count missed and time ran out. Visiting coach said theres still 2 seconds i said clock started late and I had count.