The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tattoos? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30639-tattoos.html)

whistleone Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:58am

Tattoos?

I'm at work without my books (I know, shame on me) and the question about players with tattoos has come up. Does anyone have a rules reference to tattoos on players and if they need to be covered?

Thanks!

GoodwillRef Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by whistleone
I'm at work without my books (I know, shame on me) and the question about players with tattoos has come up. Does anyone have a rules reference to tattoos on players and if they need to be covered?

Thanks!

In Wisconsin we don't have any restrictions on tattoos, our state doesn't want to get into a battle over Free Speech!

armymanjones Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:07pm

Quote:

Thanks!

I may not be up on this everywhere but I don't believe there is a NFHS rule

GoodwillRef Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by armymanjones
I may not be up on this everywhere but I don't believe there is a NFHS rule

I remember watching LaBron James play in HS and he had his all covered.

Raymond Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:09pm

There are no references at all in the NCAA rulebook.

But Whistle, I am curious though as to how or why this question came up.

Adam Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
I remember watching LaBron James play in HS and he had his all covered.

Could have been school or team policy. I don't know of any NFHS rule that addresses tattoos.

whistleone Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
There are no references at all in the NCAA rulebook.

But Whistle, I am curious though as to how or why this question came up.

My partner and I were discussing it last night as he had a player earlier in the year that had a tattoo. He thought he remembered hearing that tattoos must be covered up if they are visible and told a coach that his player had to cover up his skin art. The coach acted like he had been told that before and had forgotten to have his player cover up his tattoo. Lo and behold, we had a girl's game last night and one of the home players had a tribal band around her bicep and it was covered. That was definitely a first for me in a girl's game.

Adam Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:23pm

What do they cover it with? Cloth sleeves are illegal, right?

Raymond Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:24pm

Quote:

My partner and I were discussing it last night as he had a player earlier in the year that had a tattoo. He thought he remembered hearing that tattoos must be covered up if they are visible and told a coach that his player had to cover up his skin art. The coach acted like he had been told that before and had forgotten to have his player cover up his tattoo. Lo and behold, we had a girl's game last night and one of the home players had a tribal band around her bicep and it was covered. That was definitely a first for me in a girl's game.

In your case it appears to be a local/State policy. If it is a state policy than something should be posted to your State HS website.

If we enforced that policy here we would have a lot of illegal sweatbands. :cool:

whistleone Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
What do they cover it with? Cloth sleeves are illegal, right?

Last night it was a large piece of what looked to be tape. While you could still see the tattoo through the tape, we did give them credit for the effort.

Raymond Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:33pm

Quote:

Last night it was a large piece of what looked to be tape. While you could still see the tattoo through the tape, we did give them credit for the effort.

Where do you officiate? I work in Allen Iverson's hometown so you can imagine what I see. We would have a bunch of mummies runnning around the court.

JRutledge Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:36pm

There was a NF rule about 8 years ago that outlawed tattoos that would be considered offensive or profane. Then the next year the rule was repealed. Considering what is offensive is a very slippery slope and is not going to have agreement across the board, I think it is safe to assume why this rule was repealed. Now there are some states and other jurisdictions that have their own rules about tattoos. Lebron James from what I understand had to cover up his tattoos because of the school rules (private school) not based on the state organization. I am sure someone from Ohio might clear that up, but that is what I remember being discussed here.

Peace

deecee Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:37pm

in samoan culture body art is is sacred and a right of passage -- so I see many samoan teens with tatoos and its not to be cool -- its because thats their culture.

budjones05 Fri Jan 05, 2007 01:29pm

NFHS Rule 3-5 Art 1 says: "The referee shall not permit any team member to waer equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgement, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate"

LarryS Fri Jan 05, 2007 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by budjones05
NFHS Rule 3-5 Art 1 says: "The referee shall not permit any team member to waer equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgement, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate"

True...but do you wear a tatoo or do you have a tatoo? :rolleyes: