The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tattoos? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30639-tattoos.html)

Dakota Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
A decent, fairly unbiased article on the topic: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/sport...cots_8-25.html.

PMJI...

PBS has never done anything that was unbiased.

The NCAA has hypocrisy as an organizational creed.

As to the NCAA's motives in granting exceptions from this policy not being about money... in whose universe? This was a product of the internal NCAA Executive Committee Subcommittee On Gender And Diversity Issues, which, since it was created HAD to do something to justify its existance.

Once the NCAA bans the little lepraucaun and the nickname "Fighting Irish", then I'll know they are serious about ethnic slurs in college mascots. After all, which is more offensive: a mascot associating an ethnic group with drunken brawls, or a mascot (e.g. "Fighting Sioux") based on an honorable warrior?

JRutledge Sat Jan 06, 2007 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I agree that tattoos are not prohibited by rule. Hair styles, however, may be prohibited if dangerous, per 3-7.

Mark,

And that refers more to stuff you put in your hair, not the hair itself. I did not refer to head decorations which seem to be the only thing prohibited under the rules. There is nothing about hair styles that are illegal. At least that is not the case based on your specific reference.

Peace

Mark Dexter Sat Jan 06, 2007 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Mark,

And that refers more to stuff you put in your hair, not the hair itself. I did not refer to head decorations which seem to be the only thing prohibited under the rules. There is nothing about hair styles that are illegal. At least that is not the case based on your specific reference.

Peace

Rut - I agree that the rule is meant in 99% of cases to apply to hair decorations (actually covered by 3-5-1, 3-5-3 and 3-5-7), rule 3-7 itself does give the referee the ability to prohibit a player from entering the game if that player's hair style is dangerous. While I can't think of a situation where that would be applicable, it is a rule and can be enforced if needed.

HawkeyeCubP Sat Jan 06, 2007 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
Once the NCAA bans the little lepraucaun and the nickname "Fighting Irish", then I'll know they are serious about ethnic slurs in college mascots. After all, which is more offensive: a mascot associating an ethnic group with drunken brawls, or a mascot (e.g. "Fighting Sioux") based on an honorable warrior?

The Irish, as an ethnic group, weren't systematically and deceptively annihilated, nor subject to anything close to the type of racism and bigotry native americans have been subjected to in this country since its inception. You cannot adequately compare the two for purposes of deciding what is acceptable in today's culture.

HawkeyeCubP Sat Jan 06, 2007 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
PBS has never done anything that was unbiased.

I don't see how this piece could be any more unbiased than it is. It's a discussion involving people's comments from both sides of the debate - and they're not actually debating, but simply laying out their comments for the reader to make of them what he/she wishes. It's a purely informative piece, not a persuasive one.

BillyMac Sun Jan 07, 2007 09:01pm

NFHS Tattoos

Here's what I discovered about NFHS rules regarding tattoos:

1996-97 NFHS Basketball Rule Book, page 70, Points of Emphasis: Permanent tattoos pose problems if they are objectionable for one reason or another. School administrators and/or coaches have an obligation to have objectionable markings of a permanent type covered. It is not in the best interest of the game to have officials placed in a position where from game to game they must rule on what is objectionable. Obviously, officials can and will make these decisions when outright vulgarity or obsenity is involved or when such markings violate sportmanship and/or taunting or baiting regulations.

I don't recall if this Point of Emphasis was changed in any way in later Rule Book editions.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
I remember watching LaBron James play in HS and he had his all covered.

Labron attended a Catholic high school, and he was told by school officials that the tattoos had to be covered.

MTD, Sr.