The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

where to get help as a new ref

I'm starting new reffing and have gone thru the training...but, very nervous..does anyone know of tapes that are out that i can actually watch mechanics and proper calls that can be rented or bought...to see exactly where to be standing, rotation and things like this...a tape would be more helpful than reading words...thanks
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

You could also go and watch varsity level ball and pay close attention to the refs working those games. That might be even more valuable than tapes. Find a mentor in your area who is very experienced and learn from them.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 03:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by clips2
I'm starting new reffing and have gone thru the training...but, very nervous..does anyone know of tapes that are out that i can actually watch mechanics and proper calls that can be rented or bought...to see exactly where to be standing, rotation and things like this...a tape would be more helpful than reading words...thanks
Old School, here is your chance to help a fellow official. Could you send him some tapes of some of your more high profile games? You should also have a couple tapes or dvd's from camps which you have attended.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 03:54pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Old School, here is your chance to help a fellow official. Could you send him some tapes of some of your more high profile games? You should also have a couple tapes or dvd's from camps which you have attended.
That is just wrong!
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Although they are kind of expensive, Officiating.com's 2 and 3 man mechanic DVD's are great. Dont be nervious, go out there, relax and rock and roll.

Good Luck,
Brandan
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
That is just wrong!
Tom, you're right!

Clips -- the best thing to do is find a mentor, and as Smitty said, go and watch others' games. Also, read everything you can get your hands on, and keep trying different things as you hear about them. For the first year or so, I wouldn't watch a lot od D1 or NBA ball on TV. Things are so different that this can just confuse the heck out of you.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
You could also go and watch varsity level ball and pay close attention to the refs working those games. That might be even more valuable than tapes. Find a mentor in your area who is very experienced and learn from them.
A great suggestion - then take what you learn & put it to use. Nothing beats time on the floor. When the current season wraps up, find out who runs the spring & summer leagues and try to work some games in those at a level you feel comfortable with.

In the fall after practice starts, but before they are allowed to schedule actual games, most schools have intra-squad scrimmages or "parents nights". Many like to have officials for these as it gives the players a chance to get used to an actual game environment. Although these are typically volunteer, it's a great low pressure way to clear out the cobwebs before you start doing actual games.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
You could also go and watch varsity level ball and pay close attention to the refs working those games.
agreed, however recognize that not everything they do will be "by the book."
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Welcome to the madness

The new officials in our association are urged to go with veteran officials where there is a JV/V double header and work the JV game with experienced, knowledgeable people. Usually, one veteran official will sit the first half and another will sit the second. This is of course with the blessing of both coaches.

Ask a lot of questions and work as much as possible. Experience is a great instructor.

Good Luck
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clips2
Go and watch a lot of basketball(both middle and high) http://www.eofficials.com. has some videos about traveling etc
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

From a fellow rookie point of view. I didn't have much luck with videos. I bought one with two officials who demonstrated some general positioning and mechanics, but they flew through everything too quickly and lacked sufficient detail to make much of a difference. I bought a second that wasn't much better. My two cents: Buy the additional books that are advertised in the NFHS testing materials, then find out who the better officials are in your area and go and watch.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
The mentor idea is by far the best idea out there. Let me take it one step (or two) farther. Ask this mentor to REALLY take you under his wing. Travel with him for some of his games - sit in on the pregame, halftime and post game meetings. Don't get wrapped up in watching the game so you can really pay attention to their mechanics. I'm not saying don't watch the game but be sure to take in their movements too. Ask this mentor to go with you to some of YOUR games. Critique your pregame, halftime and postgames as well. I found when I was a younger official that many older refs were hesitant to really offer helpful criticism - so tell this guy to really help you he has to be honest with his observations. But you'll never ever get better unless you really work on the things that are brought to your attention.

BTW, I still ask people what I can do to get better. You're never too old or too good to improve.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

When you get comfortable on the floor start going to camps. I would start in state. Most assignors (at least around here) offer camps for low cost. Start there! Then start working your way to the bigger camps, like the Coast to Coast or Hoop Mountain. A great camp to start with is the IAABO camps. Those are the best instructional camps you could go to. Most other camps like the Coast to Coast or Hoop Mountain camp require you to have some familiarity on the court.

Good luck and welcome!
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the club! This is also my first year, so I identify completely.

I agree whole-heartedly about the mentor thing. I am lucky enough to work with two other guys (in my other life) who are also referees. One has been at it for 10 years, and another 3. I think that is a good mix because one has the experience and is on varsity level, and one is not that far removed from where I am!

Also, I did purchase the 2-man mechanics video someone mentioned. Although not the greatest, I did find it helpful.

And one other tip- read this forum! And read the rulebook over and over!! I'm amazed at some of the guys who have been around for a couple years and do not know the rules...

GOOD LUCK!