The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 15, 2001, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

hey guys

i truly respect everyone's opinion in the basketball forum, and i really mean that too. anyway, what is the best officiating book to read and gain insight from.

thanks
rookie ref
jeremy
Old Mon Oct 15, 2001, 08:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

The book that helped me the most in learning to deal with coaches was, "How To Train Your Howler Monkey", by Dave.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2001, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Jeremy; The best book or books that you can read are the RULES !! If you know what the rules are it's hard to stump a good official. If you want to expand your knowledge further there are several good brouchures from 'REFEREE' magazine. One is 'Making the Call'the inner game of sports officiating. There is another one out there that I think is called the twenty something do and don'ts of officiating. These are both obtainable through Referee Magazine. One of the most important things is to get as much experience as possible at ALL levels of competition, and don't be afraid to learn from that experience. Don't take what the coaches and fans say to you personal.
" BE PROFESSIONAL AT ALL TIMES "

Good Luck !!

Old Tue Oct 16, 2001, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Good Books

I think the NF Case book is pretty good, I read in it a lot. Referee magazine's "Basketball Officials Guidebook Volume 1, Mechanics for a crew of two" is pretty good. Go to http://www.referee.com and I tink the publications are listed under one of the tabs. Good luck.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2001, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

1) Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

2) How to win friends and influence people
Old Wed Oct 17, 2001, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I enjoyed "Calling the Shots: My Five Decades in the NBA" by the (in)famous Earl Strom. It's out of print, but Barnes and Noble's web site can find you a copy.

I'll also cautiously recommend "Behind the Mask: My Double Life in Baseball" by Dave Pallone. Yes, it's about baseball, and yes, there's the whole homosexuality issue, and yes, Pallone was a "scab" ump. The book is really more about officiating, though, and has a lot of interesting insight on the craft and the people.

"Psychology of Officiating"Â*by Robert S. Weinberg and Peggy A. Richardson looks interesting, but I haven't read it yet.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2001, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeT

"Psychology of Officiating"Â*by Robert S. Weinberg and Peggy A. Richardson looks interesting, but I haven't read it yet.
I read it. It's worthwhile along with the books Bob J
mentioned.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2001, 12:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeT
I enjoyed "Calling the Shots: My Five Decades in the NBA" by the (in)famous Earl Strom. It's out of print, but Barnes and Noble's web site can find you a copy.

I have this book and have been recommending it for years to anyone interested in officiating. Among other topics, it gives Earl's explanation of why superstars are treated differently in the NBA. He supported this concept and explains why it makes perfect sense.

He also talks about his ABA days, his very early NBA days when officiating even at the NBA level was just a "second job" and about how Darryl Garretson ruined NBA officiating.

He gets into real depth about his theory of how games should be called and of the role of the official on the court.

Frankly, this book is worth the price for the anecdotes alone.