The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 25, 2006, 08:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb Top duo?

Fox Sports Net had one of its Sports List shows on and they listed the top "sports duos". This would be the best pair of teammates in pro sports. Their list included baseball, football, basketball and hockey. Some of the pairs were Koufax and Drysdale, Gretzky and Messier, Montana and Rice, Shaq and Kobe, etc. The number one rated teammate duo was Ruth and Gehrig. It would be hard to argue against that pair. So I thought I'd ask who we think would be the top five rated NBA duos. Fox had Stockton and Malone at the top for basketball and I don't think I could argue against that, either. Here's my five in order:

1. Stockton and Malone
2. Kareem and Magic
3. Cousy and Russell
4. Chamberlain and West
5. Jordan and Pippen

I couldn't include my all-time favorite, George Mikan, in there because he really never had another extraordinary teammate of this caliber - and this was the best duos, not individuals.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Mon Dec 25, 2006 at 11:34pm.
Old Mon Dec 25, 2006, 09:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Padgett and Juulie.

Edit: Naismith and a young JR.

Seriously: Gretzky and Messier.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Mon Dec 25, 2006 at 10:27pm.
Old Mon Dec 25, 2006, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

How about a unique perspective?

Tiger Woods and Steve Williams?

or

Jack Nicklaus and Angelo Argea?
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 01:23am

Jordan and Pippan #5 is an insult. These 2 are number 1, hands down.

How about Lew Alcinder and Oscar Robertson, bet you don't remember that. In fact, if Lew didn't get traded, there may have been a dynasty there. How about Larry Bird and Kevin McKale, Julius Ervin and Moses Malone or Aken Olahuwan and Clyde Drexter or remember the twin towers Olahuwan and Ralph Samspon.

In football, the best duo of all time is Motanna and Rice, hands down. This combination destroyed teams. I remember one super bowl that San Diego made it too, against the 49ers. San Diego had to have known that Jerry Rice was the killer in the NFL at the time, but they went into the game with no answer. The very 1st play of the SB, Montana to Rice, touchdown, the route is on. I was like how did they even get here.

How about Lenny Dawson and Otis Taylor
Marshall Faulk and Curt Warner
Terry Bradsaw and Lynn Swam
Fred Brelitnikaus and Darrel Lamonica
Kevin Winslow and Dan Fouts
too name a few.....
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsRefJunior
Tiger Woods and Steve Williams?

or

Jack Nicklaus and Angelo Argea?
How can Tiger be in any top duo when he doesn't play well in team events?

For basketball, I'd have to say Magic and Kareem, even though I absolutely hate the Lakers.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 07:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco
How can Tiger be in any top duo when he doesn't play well in team events?
Obviously, his teammates, also, do not play well.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I couldn't include my all-time favorite, George Mikan, in there because he really never had another extraordinary teammate of this caliber - and this was the best duos, not individuals.
I would say that George Mikan and Vern Mikkelson would qualify as a pretty good duo. They are both Hall of Famers and they dominated the sport in the 50's and early 60's. In fact Mikkelson is generally regarded as being the games first power forward.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 12:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
How about Lew Alcinder and Oscar Robertson, bet you don't remember that.
I tell you my personal favorite pro basketball player of all time is George Mikan and you don't think I remember those two?
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to shawn29
Quote:

How about Lew Alcinder and Oscar Robertson, bet you don't remember that. In fact, if Lew didn't get traded, there may have been a dynasty there. How about Larry Bird and Kevin McKale, Julius Ervin and Moses Malone or Aken Olahuwan and Clyde Drexter or remember the twin towers Olahuwan and Ralph Samspon.

In football, the best duo of all time is Motanna and Rice, hands down. This combination destroyed teams. I remember one super bowl that San Diego made it too, against the 49ers. San Diego had to have known that Jerry Rice was the killer in the NFL at the time, but they went into the game with no answer. The very 1st play of the SB, Montana to Rice, touchdown, the route is on. I was like how did they even get here.

too name a few.....
That was Young to Rice on the third play .
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 01:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

too name a few.....
Okay, this list has a lot of people I've never heard of.

Pippan? Kevin McKale? Julius Ervin? Aken Olahuwan? Clyde Drexter? Curt Warner (is he maybe Kurt's cousin or something?) Terry Bradsaw? Lynn Swam (did they call him Swammy?) Fred Brelitnikaus? Who is Kevin Winslow?

Dude, a typo or two is one thing; but you've mis-spelled almost half of this list.

BTW, Warner and Faulk don't belong on this list. One season of greatness followed by two seasons of mediocrity doesn't even get you mentioned in the same breath as Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Jerry Rice gets mentioned with two quarterbacks; Young and Montana.

Last edited by Adam; Tue Dec 26, 2006 at 01:23pm.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In football, the best duo of all time is Motannaand Rice, hands down. This combination destroyed teams. I remember one super bowl that San Diego made it too, against the 49ers. San Diego had to have known that Jerry Rice was the killer in the NFL at the time, but they went into the game with no answer. The very 1st play of the SB, Montana to Rice, touchdown, the route is on. I was like how did they even get here.

too name a few.....
OK, I don't know where Mr. Spelling Guy is. Must still be on Christmas Break, so I'll hit the ones I know are messed up, and someone else can pick up the rest of the pieces.

In order of redness above:

Pippen, Alcindor, McHale, Irving, Drexler, Olajuwan, Sampson, Kurt, Bradshaw, Swan, Belitnikoff and Daryle.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

I will have to say.

Jack Sickma and Gus Williams. They brought the only NBA Championship to the Pacific NorthWest with Lenny Wilkins as the Coach.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I will have to say.

Jack Sickma and Gus Williams. They brought the only NBA Championship to the Pacific NorthWest with Lenny Wilkins as the Coach.
Sikma and Wilkens
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 01:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
OK, I don't know where Mr. Spelling Guy is. Must still be on Christmas Break, so I'll hit the ones I know are messed up, and someone else can pick up the rest of the pieces.

In order of redness above:

Pippen, Alcindor, McHale, Irving, Drexler, Olajuwan, Sampson, Kurt, Bradshaw, Swan, Belitnikoff and Daryle.
Kevin Winslow's real first name was Kellen.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Kevin Winslow's real first name was Kellen.
That's what I was thinking too, however, I was tired of looking them names up to verify as it was. I think he got the point.