The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

Lurked awhile, thought I would jump in and join the fun.
My son(16) and I have been refereeing for two yrs. now, and really enjoying it. We do mostly youth games up to 9th grade. Last week we did a 6th grade boys game. On spot thrown ins, I would hand the ball to the point guard out of bounds, and he would let it hit the floor and then pick it up . After doing this about 5 times on throw ins, I told him if he didn't take the ball when I gave it to him, I would T him up for delay of game. Solved the problem. Not sure if that was the right thing to say, but it got him to stop letting the ball hit the floor.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 01:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

I really do not have a problem with what you did without any specific rules backing how to handle this situation. What you told them in my opinion was preventative officiating and you avoided a bigger problem. You could have started a count, but that should be nearly a last resport.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

What advantage did he gain by letting the ball hit the floor? Also, by rule you have to record a formal warning for delay before you give the T. Could you have talked to the player without warning them about giving a T?
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 01:47pm

None issue, if he won't take it, drop it and start your count. If it continues, bounce it to him, start your count.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 02:09pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Also, by rule you have to record a formal warning for delay before you give the T.
I respectfully disagree. There are only 4 formal delay warnings and "not accepting the ball for the throw-in" is not one of them. If he won't take it, put it on the floor and start counting.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 02:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I respectfully disagree. There are only 4 formal delay warnings and "not accepting the ball for the throw-in" is not one of them. If he won't take it, put it on the floor and start counting.
Agree. You can't really hand out a "T" to the thrower for "preventing the ball from being made live promptly" when the official simply makes the ball live when putting it on the floor.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I stand corrected. I should have caught that myself. I guess my mind is on holiday break already.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
None issue, if he won't take it, drop it and start your count. If it continues, bounce it to him, start your count.
I agree, if it's on his baseline, put the ball in his chest and start your count. If it's on another line, bounce it to him and play ball.

I can't think of a good reason why the thrower would do this unless he saw someone else do it and thinks it's cool. Hmmmmm