The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   concerned and curious (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30397-concerned-curious.html)

observer Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:03pm

concerned and curious

I think I have heard this before, but, I do not remember the final results on how to handle this situation.

NFHS game I was observing/evaluating

A1 scores on a driving layup with 5 seconds remaining in a close contest, he falls to the floor under the basket as B1 retrieves the ball from the basket net and tries to get out of bounds for the throw-in. Without ever establishing out-of-bounds status he (B1) throws the ball to B2 and B2 dribbles down the floor. With 2.1 seconds remaining on the clock the official realizes that B1 was never out-of-bounds, and blows his whistle. The official gives the ball to team A stating that B1 had a lane violation.
The official questioned me on the status and what should have been done.

1. Maybe continue to count a 5 second until the violation.
2. Blow and stop immediately until A1 gets up from the floor.
3. Exactly as he handled it.

Your thoughts

Raymond Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:05pm

There was a thread concerning something similar to this scenario. Don't have time to do a search right now.

Scrapper1 Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by observer
I think I have heard this before, but, I do not remember the final results on how to handle this situation.

1. Maybe continue to count a 5 second until the violation.
2. Blow and stop immediately until A1 gets up from the floor.
3. Exactly as he handled it.

4. Blow the whistle immediately and call a throw-in violation on B1.

Adam Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:21pm

This is a throwin violation as soon as B1 starts up the court without having taken the ball out for a throwin. I believe there was a case play added recently to cover this scenario, but i don't have my casebook with me.

Adam Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
4. Blow the whistle immediately and call a throw-in violation on B1.

Which is the same as #3. :)

Scrapper1 Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Which is the same as #3. :)

I didn't think so when I originally read it. There were several dribbles before the official called the violation and almost 3 seconds ran off the clock. The violation should be called when the illegal throw-in is released. That's what I was getting at. Sorry for any confusion.

Adam Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:36pm

I figured, but the official called it as soon as he recognized it; which is all we can ask.

Jurassic Referee Fri Dec 22, 2006 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
This is a throwin violation as soon as B1 starts up the court without having taken the ball out for a throwin. I believe there was a case play added recently to cover this scenario, but i don't have my casebook with me.

You are wise beyond your years.

Casebook play 9.2.2SitC.

Jesse James Fri Dec 22, 2006 01:53pm

Basically identical play happened in the Southern Illinois-Indiana game Sunday. SIU never gets OB status, but passes, and heads up court. Ted Hillary kills the play after a couple dribbles, and gives it back to SIU to inbound again.

PYRef Fri Dec 22, 2006 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse James
Basically identical play happened in the Southern Illinois-Indiana game Sunday. SIU never gets OB status, but passes, and heads up court. Ted Hillary kills the play after a couple dribbles, and gives it back to SIU to inbound again.

So in this case, Hillary was incorrect to give the ball back to SIU? From 9.2.2 Sit C above, it is a violation and the ball should go to Indiana right?

bob jenkins Fri Dec 22, 2006 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYRef
So in this case, Hillary was incorrect to give the ball back to SIU? From 9.2.2 Sit C above, it is a violation and the ball should go to Indiana right?

I don't know if the NCAA has the same case play. Before the FED issued a case play, there was a long discussion here about the right ruling. The options included (a) immediate violation, (b) wait 5 seconds then call a violation, (c) give the ball back.

rainmaker Fri Dec 22, 2006 09:36pm

Also, OP should note that this is not a "lane violation" but a "throw-in violation." Just a minor point.

mbyron Sat Dec 23, 2006 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I don't know if the NCAA has the same case play. Before the FED issued a case play, there was a long discussion here about the right ruling. The options included (a) immediate violation, (b) wait 5 seconds then call a violation, (c) give the ball back.

I'm guessing that the rationale for (b) is that the throw-in team has 5 seconds to accomplish the throw-in correctly. So if they miffed it, they could try again. Is that right, Bob?

Only clue they'd have that they'd miffed it would be that you're still counting. But of course they expect you to be counting the 10-sec backcourt count, so they probably wouldn't know. I can see why NFHS opted otherwise.

I call this differently depending on level: for HS games, it's a violation (per rule and case book play); for little kids I make 'em do it right (teaching moment).