The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 07, 2001, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Since we are beginning a new season, I would like to hear some of the things that some of you guys cover in pre-games. Are there certain things you discuss everytime, and are there some things you discuss only when you are with a certain partner or at a certain gym?
Old Sun Oct 07, 2001, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

One item I try to focus on especially early in the season is the pre game I will do with the scorer and timer. We use a shot clock in SoCal and things can go haywire in a hurry with an inexperienced or rusty timer. I also like to address new rules and POE and make sure all officials are on the same page and attempting to call these as closely as possible.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2001, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Early season I begin with rule changes and Points of Emphasis. I have a standard pregame that I use each game. Details/specifics would be based on crew members (old or new; have we worked together). There could be special/unusual circumstances on the building that might need to be addressed.
Most important thing is that the crew (2 or 3) are on the same page and ready to go when you leave the dressing room.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2001, 09:33am
Esteemed Participant

One of the things I have picked up is that at the end of the "regular" pre-game conference, I ask my partner or partners to tell me three things I need to know about how they work the floor, call the game, etc...we all share that info and I have found that helps tremendously - especially with people I am not really familiar with...it lightens the mood a little, helps us to relax, and I find out if partners have a quick whistle, slow whistle, etc...all the things that go beyond coverage areas and rotations, etc...
Old Mon Oct 08, 2001, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

It generally depends on who I am working with and their level of experience. Having said that here are a few things that I always discuss:
1 communication
2 on/off ball coverage
3 establishing the "no calls" early
4 establishing the"for sure" calls early
5 double whistle procedure
6 "train wrecks" in the paint
7 handling the bench personnel
8 Dead ball procedures
9 controlling the game under the hoop
10 consistency in our calls.
Hope that helps,
Pistol
Old Mon Oct 08, 2001, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

We cover the basics each time:
1. Call the obvious
2. Referee the defense
3. Trust your partner
4. Stay in your primary
5. Have fun

Other specifics depend upon the crew. Obviously, a new face on our crew requires a more detailed pre-game. We cover such things as coverage of last second shots (this covers both watching the shooter and the clock), double whistles (epecially on a block/charge). Any other adjustments are made at halftime and a quick meeting during a late 4th quarter time-out during a close game.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2001, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Pre Game

I work about 95% of my games with the same partner. What we try to do early in the season is to go over any NEW rule changes and how we will handle them. We also decide who is going to be the Ref and who will be the umpire for that game. We talk about what we are going to tell the Timer and Scorer at the table before that game. We also talk about what we will be saying in the COACHES/CAPTAINS meeting before the game. We try and remind each other NOT to bring up anything about what we will be calling during the game. We don't want to put ourselves into a situation where we say we are going to watch for something in particular and then don't call it. That only gives the coaches something to talk to us about during the game. I think the most important thing is to try and get each other on the same page for the game.
1. Who will handle the last shot.
2. Administrating any 'T's' if we have them.
3. Covering the court with back court pressure.
4. Making sure we have the shooter on a foul.
5. Making EYE CONTACT with each other during the game.

These are just some of the things that we try and make sure that we are on the same page with. The biggest thing is to remember that you and your partner are a team. If you need to discuss a call with each other then take the time to get it right.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2001, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
IAABO has a pregame sheet that I use. It gives me a basic outline of how I am going to do my pregame. Depending on who my partner is, the more I cover in a pregame. If I have worked with this guy 5 or more times in the season, I don't have to pregame as much as if I am working with a brand new official in his first game. Things I want to cover when I don't have that card available as in right now are:
1. New Rules
2. Court coverage. Big L, Little L. Ball side.
3. Throw in Administration. Long switches and eye contact.
4. Foul calling. Eye contact and we are on the same page for administering free throw or we know the designated spot for throw in.
5. Anything special about this floor. Things hanging from the cealing, tight sidelines so 3 foot rule on throw ins.
6. I want to know what to expect from the teams or coaches. How do we want to handle them.
7. Who has the last second shot.
8. As time allows, we could talk about any number of situations from injuries, to block/charge, technical fouls, blood rule, illegal screens, etc.
9. Always end with being professional.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2001, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Things I want to cover when I don't have that card available as in right now are:

2. Court coverage. Big L, Little L. Ball side.
"BIG L
little l

Little Lola Lopp.
Left leg.
Lazy lion
licks a lollipop."

excerpt from "A B C", by Dr. Seuss (1963).

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have a new reader in my house. Ok, seriously, what's "Big L, Little L"?

Chuck
Old Thu Oct 11, 2001, 01:36pm
In Memoriam

Question Me 2

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Ok, seriously, what's "Big L, Little L"?

...What Chuck said.
mick
Old Fri Oct 12, 2001, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

How much do you you wish the lead to cover. Should he cover to the volleyball line, should he cover to the free throw line? Should he cover to the far lane line or all the way to the far 3 point line?
Old Fri Oct 12, 2001, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Tim dont confuse us! Everybody know that the entire Volleyball line is in play, yet a basketball line is out. The lines we use are that are less confusing are the four square lines.
Old Sat Oct 13, 2001, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Don't confuse me, either. The question I want to know from my partner is does he want to cover the area all the way up to the free throw line as the lead or does he want to come a little shorter. The baseline on the volleyball floor can serve as a reference for where the line is between lead's jurisdiction and trail's.