The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

My first games

Hello. Love ya’ love your show. Long time listener; first time caller. Etc. etc. I thought I would share my story of my first week of refereeing. Last Thursday (freshmen boys) was my second night of paid referring ever. Who would have guessed that I would be the veteran official in the 2-man crew? Turns out that it was my partner’s first game. My thought was who would schedule two rookies together for their first games? I was hoping to have a veteran with me to give me some pointers. I don’t know what is expected of rookies, but I think we both did a good job. Almost no complaints from the benches (we didn’t tell them that it was our first game). The only complaining I got was well deserved when team A inbounded the ball in their backcourt. Everyone, including the officials, thought they were throwing it in in their frontcourt. Well, there was one kid from A who did know the correct basket, and he took off for an uncontested lay-up. Well, shortly after I blew the whistle for what I thought was a backcourt violation, I realized the error of my way, and called it an inadvertent whistle. No big deal, because they were up by 20. The home team coach did let me know that I stole an uncontested lay-up from him though. I think the fans were gentle on me for that bone head call. Has this ever happened to anyone else in their less-experienced days?
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRef
Hello. Love ya’ love your show. Long time listener; first time caller. Has this ever happened to anyone else in their less-experienced days?
LOL, good post. Did I ever have an inadvertant whistle due to my boneheadedness early in my career? Most certainly.

There must be a shortage of officials in your area for you to be scheduled with another rookie. Kudos to you for making it through the game and it sounds like it went well. You were thrown into the fire and you came out without any burns.

Keep it up, it gets more enjoyable all the time (with the occasional exception).
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Another incident I had in the same game is I called a foul on a boy from the visiting team, and a few guys fell to the floor. By the time everyone got up, I had forgotten who committed the foul. My partner said that he couldn’t tell with all the guys there, so I walked to the table not knowing what to do. I figured I would ask the coach of the fouling team since he was staring at me. I said, “Coach, you gotta help me here. Who was that on?” He did not say a word but just turned away from me. I stood there at the table not knowing what to do, when a fan yelled out, “Number 15”. So I reported, “White, 15”, and walked away. I wonder if that coach will remember me when I ref his team at his school tonight?
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

My best inadvertant whistle...

Was in my first year when I had a train wreck of a collision between the dribbler and another player. The instant I blew my whistle I see that both players are from the SAME TEAM. I freeze and my partner comes in and asks what I have and i say... i got nuttin. Red ball!
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another incident I had in the same game is I called a foul on a boy from the visiting team, and a few guys fell to the floor. By the time everyone got up, I had forgotten who committed the foul. My partner said that he couldn’t tell with all the guys there, so I walked to the table not knowing what to do. I figured I would ask the coach of the fouling team since he was staring at me. I said, “Coach, you gotta help me here. Who was that on?” He did not say a word but just turned away from me. I stood there at the table not knowing what to do, when a fan yelled out, “Number 15”. So I reported, “White, 15”, and walked away. I wonder if that coach will remember me when I ref his team at his school tonight?
I wouldn't get in the habit of asking a coach who fouled. Try your partner first. If he can't help you, the table crew might. If it's a girls game, just ask the team that fouled and they will usually fess up.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, KC- from another first year rookie, thanks for the posts! You are a riot!

In our clinics this year, our training official said, "If you don't remember who the foul is on, pick a number and sell it!"

I thought he was joking, until it happened to me. As Im heading to the table, mind goes blank , and I remember what the trainer said. I turned around, looked for a number, and...
"blue, 23, push, 2 shots"

As Im turning back around, the scorer buzzes me and says, "Who was that on?"

I said, BLUE, 23! He just looked at me and grinned. He, and the coaches knew it wasn't right, but they also knew there wasn't any point in arguing.

I hope to never have to use this one again- and know that it could cause all kinds of problems- including wrong player fouls out, etc. But in that instance, it worked and it didn't impact anyone.

Keep having fun, keep improving, and keep posting!
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
WOW, is that funny! First thing you have to learn is sell your calls even if you have no idea and your P has no Idea. PICK somebody! Dont compound the sitch by showing your inexperience to the coach. That is odd that 2 newbies together for first game! The assignor must have screwed up. Believe me the coach will remember you! Just be careful he doesnt try to use YOU to his advantage tonight! Good Luck 2night and try to watch as many games as possible, thats the best way to learn.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

A habit that was pretty much forced on me by my mentor was to stop, blow the whistle, and loudly verbalize the color and the number of the person committing the foul, loud enough so your partner(s) could hear it, give a preliminary signal, and whether it's a shooting foul or a spot throw-in.

I found verbalizing it loudly makes it more difficult to forget who committed the foul when you get to the table, and if your partner hears you, he can help if you do forget.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Man, that is a funny post! I,m recreating that sitch in my mind and cracking up everytime I think about it! Great Post!
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

KC, Welcome to the forum. Wish I didn't know what any of the situations you describe felt like, but I do. Wait until you blow the foul and your whistle flies out of your mouth and you have to explain what happened to the coach and why the whistle was so late! Don't worry. You'll have plenty more blunders. We all have! Have fun and keep us updated on how things are going for you. RR
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the club, KC. 4 years ago, I worked my first HS game with another rookie. Fortunately, knowing I had my first game coming up soon, a vet in our association had taken me aside and explained how all the pre-game stuff works. So, with no actual HS experience under my belt, I was left to lead our crew through everything. We made some rookie mistakes, and I ended up T'ing the visiting coach. But we survived more-or-less intact. It was actually a very good experience and forced me to step up and take charge. That's not a bad lesson to have learned my first day on the job.

Congrats on your initiation! And good luck this season.