The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Undershirts, sleeve length

We had this come up tonight before a varsity game. All t-shirts were white in color, same as the body of the home jersey. Two were no sleeves at all but hemmed, three were short sleeve regular white t-shirt length, and one player had a long sleeve white "UnderArmor" shirt on. One official said that all of the shirts had to be the same length to be legal, one said he didnt think so and one had no idea.

Rule book says, "If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length". I read this as saying the same player can not have one short sleeve and one long sleeve and be legal. Not that different players on the same team have to all wear t-shirts that are the same length. Otherwise the rule would read if "undershirts" are worn they all must be of the same length.

Am I correct in my judgement?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:07pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
They don't want a guy with one sleeve and the other torn off. Some guys with regular tees and some guys with under armours on the same team are fine as long as they have the proper color.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:40pm
PYRef

That is specifically addressed that different players may have different sleeve lengths as long as the sleeves on each arm of an individual player are the same length.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
They don't want a guy with one sleeve and the other torn off. Some guys with regular tees and some guys with under armours on the same team are fine as long as they have the proper color.
Had this in a tourney this weekend, one sleeve torn off and the other one long. Made him take off the tee all together. The coach didnt have a problem with it at all.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 09:39am
Jerry Blum

So are you guys going to let them wear the long sleeve under armor shirt? I agree with the short sleeves and no sleeved shirts being allowed as long as they are the same color. But I don't believe that I would allow the long sleeve shirt to be worn. I haven't ever seen this in basketball and I don't have the rule book to look this up but I would think that the long sleeves wouldn't be allowed.

Looking for you're thoughts on this one as well a rule reference.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Blum
So are you guys going to let them wear the long sleeve under armor shirt? I agree with the short sleeves and no sleeved shirts being allowed as long as they are the same color. But I don't believe that I would allow the long sleeve shirt to be worn. I haven't ever seen this in basketball and I don't have the rule book to look this up but I would think that the long sleeves wouldn't be allowed.

Looking for you're thoughts on this one as well a rule reference.
There is no prohibition on the length of sleeve. If you are requiring a player with a long-sleeved undershirt to remove it, you are incorrectly enforcing the rule.

3-5-5...Undershirts shall be similar in color to the torso of the jersey and shall be hemmed and not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Possible infraction of the logo rule, however. I've seen a few UnderArmour shirts worn in freshman games (I was watching - not officiating) and they have the logo right below the neckline of the UnderArmour shirt (not the jersey neckline)...visible and illegal.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 10:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu1
Possible infraction of the logo rule, however. I've seen a few UnderArmour shirts worn in freshman games (I was watching - not officiating) and they have the logo right below the neckline of the UnderArmour shirt (not the jersey neckline)...visible and illegal.
My God....that's an immediate technical foul. I certainly hope that they didn't let the player get away with something like that!

-written tic of course.....
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

I was just pointing it out. Somewhat off topic...but somewhat related.