The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

[quote]Originally posted by Tim Roden on 01-24-2000 11:43 AM
First of all, at half time, the officials leave the floor so they are not in charge of the first 7 minutes of halftime.

Tim,
The official's jurisdiction does not end for the first 7 minutes of halftime.

And as a side note, what if the players from the second game come onto the court at halftime of the first game and begin 'dunking' the ball?

KDM
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by KDM on 01-24-2000 12:13 PM
Tim,
The official's jurisdiction does not end for the first 7 minutes of halftime.

And as a side note, what if the players from the second game come onto the court at halftime of the first game and begin 'dunking' the ball?

KDM

It's still up to the game management as to who they allow to shoot around, even though our jurisdiction does not stop during half-time. Our responsibility lies with the players and coaches for our game. That means it's up to us to check the court for dirt or wetness before starting the second half.

As for the varsity players dunking during half-time of the JV game . . . I think they are treated the same as any spectators. Their game hasn't started yet, and the JV officials are not responsible for their conduct. That's up to the varsity guys once they come out onto the court to begin their game jurisdiction, and the coaches or game manager before that.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Oops ... let me change my little 'side note'. I forgot that some areas play a JV and a varsity game with 2 sets of officials.

You have been assigned 2 varsity games. The first is a girls game that will be followed with a boys game. At halftime of the girls game, both boys teams enter the court for a 'shoot-around'. Players from both teams dunk the ball while the officials are still on the court and the officials witness the dunks. What's the call?????

KDM
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Double T's start with a jump ball.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

My question concerns basketball half-times.
Who can be on the court at half-time of a basketball game shooting around?
Can someone come out onto the court in street clothes and shoot around? I have been at games in which officals only allow players in uniform or game sweats/shoot around jerseys etc. on the court at half-time. Is there a ruling on this in the rule books. I'm from Texas. Could this be a UIL thing?
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, at half time, the officials leave the floor so they are not in charge of the first 7 minutes of halftime. At three when the officials return to the floor, there is usually someshooting. I feel this is game managements responsibility to handle who is allowed out there. But when the participating teams come back onto the floor, whoever is shooting should clear out and let the players do their warmup.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

There is no actual rule in the book concerning this, though as you noticed most officials do not allow other kids in street clothes to shoot or even be on the floor during breaks.
The responsability for this actually falls upon the home teams game administraters.

The main concern here is for that of the players safety, since other kids could bring excess dirt and or water onto the floor, not to mention any liability if one happened to get hurt out there.
Since we as officials are liable to some extent for the players safety, it's only in our as well as the players best interest to not allow the non-player shooters on the floor.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Tim I hope you're kidding.

The officials Jurisdiction for the boys game does not start until they get to the floor 15 prior to the start of the boys game.

No T's I say, But would have them leave the court.

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

You're right, some areas DO go JV then Varsity. By the same token, what your area does is very foreign to ME--being assigned 2 varsity games back-to-back. Must be a nice paycheck. (My state--Michigan--is one of the few that has girls b-ball in the fall, and boys in the winter, so we get to ref from late August into March.)

Maybe you have special rules dealing with your situation. My own feeling is that you are still not in charge of the NEXT varsity teams, because your jurisdiction for THAT game does not begin until the teams are warming up (officially) and you come back out onto the court for game #2. I would let the coaches and/or game management take care of them, since your responsibility for the first game is for THOSE teams and players. I don't think by rule those kids dunking are considered "players" for purposes of the next game until the first game is over and they come out suited up for their own game. But like I said, maybe you have a special arrangement as to how to deal with that in your area. Interesting thought. I'll have to bring that one up at my association meeting tonight.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo on 01-24-2000 02:45 PM
Tim I hope you're kidding.

The officials Jurisdiction for the boys game does not start until they get to the floor 15 prior to the start of the boys game.

No T's I say, But would have them leave the court.

No I'm not kidding. But I also did not read the whole message. Just looked at the last line. I agree with you and move them off the court. No T's until we see it in the warmup of their game.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2000, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Well then, next time read the ENTIRE POST before you go puttin your $.02 in OKAY??????

Kidding of course.....Probably see you in a couple of weeks.........later!!!!!

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball