The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 02, 2001, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Who is responsible to blow a 30 second violation? The trail or center closest to the shooting player? This is strictly an NCAA Mens 3 man question. Thanks.

Shawn
Old Tue Oct 02, 2001, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
it depends

The ball and the action around it will determine who has the shot clock responsibility. If it is a situation where there is no shot taken, then the official who has primary responsibility for the ball has the shot clock.

The same holds true if it is a matter of whether or not the shot was launched before or after the shot clock expired. The official on the ball must make this call. However, the other outside official will have the responsibility of a shot clock violation if the shot does not hit the rim. This is necessary because the official who has the shot must also protect the shooter up and down. Because of this responsibility, the other official takes the responsibility for drawing iron or not.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2001, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Talking

2 things ... first off it is a 35 second clock, and most importantly ..... ALL THREE REFS HAVE THE CLOCK ... what I mean by that, is that 1 of the 3 better get that violation.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2001, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

shot clock

the center and the trail have primary responsibility for the shot clock. the lead should be aware of the clock but only have a whistle on a violation if the other two missed it for some reason. dennis makes a good point! somebody better catch it.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2001, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

30 & 35 second clock

My apologies. Here in Canada, our universities play NCAA mens rules with a few minor modifications. One is we use a 30 sec. shot clock instead of a 35. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2001, 09:36pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Flannery
2 things ... first off it is a 35 second clock, and most importantly ..... ALL THREE REFS HAVE THE CLOCK ... what I mean by that, is that 1 of the 3 better get that violation.

It is a 35 second clock for a NCAA Men's basketball game and a 30 second clock for NCAA Women's basketball game.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 03, 2001, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

It is a 35 second clock for a NCAA Men's basketball game and a 30 second clock for NCAA Women's basketball game. [/B][/QUOTE]

The reason I pointed out the clock time, was in the original post it was asking for NCAA men. I know that the women's game uses 30 seconds.