The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
First games for a while happened today -- JV boys at the Hoop. i felt pretty good, although i made a couple of errors, okay, one really nasty no-call, and several annoying no-calls, no bad calls though. Mechanics definitely need work. Why can't I lose the darn bird-dog?

Had a great coach set-down -- and I didn't have to do it!

Tight game with one real Class A coach and one real Class Z coach (attitude times ten!!). With about five seconds left, Team Z leads by one, and has the ball. A1 tries to foul, but doesn't get the job done. Z3 gets upset that there was no call, and says an obscenity. Partner calls the T. Goes to the table to report. I round up the ball and line up the shooter. Then I look up and notice that the score still shows Team A down by one. But the rule at the Hoop is -- and has been for several years -- a T is two points AND two shots AND the ball. So I go over to the table, and ask the score board guy to add two points to the score. Coach Z gets even more upset and tells me I can't just add points whenever I feel like it. I say, I'm not adding points randomly, but the rules which he had signed a contract on, say this is the penalty for a T. He gets a little more heated, and the scoreboard who is from Team Z is refusing to do the job. I'm on the verge of another T for the coach, when Coach A comes over to the table and says, "We don't need the two points. We'll win anyway." Man, the look on Coach Z's face would have slayed you all.
He won the battle, but lost the war, and although I usually don't feel good about slapping people down, I have to admit, it felt pretty good to see someone else do such a good job. I think it's called poetic justice.

PS Team A did make both free throws and win the game...
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Last time I worked games at the Hoop (in Vancouver-still there?) the coaches were dads and not "real" coaches. Still that way?
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
Last time I worked games at the Hoop (in Vancouver-still there?) the coaches were dads and not "real" coaches. Still that way?
The Hoop where the Rainmaker reigns is in Beaverton, OR.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Sep 30th, 2001 at 02:26 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 08:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Why can't I lose the darn bird-dog?

Jewel,
And why would you want to lose the "bird dog"?
Oregon mechanic?
mick
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Just remember . . .

What the scoreboard says has no consequence on the final approved score of the game.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

My guess is that Team Z was also providing the scorer.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 02:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Here's some additional info based on questions in the thread above.

The Hoop in Beaverton, OR has a house rule in all leagues, youth and adult, that any technical foul is two shots, possession and an automatic two points for the other team. There are no exceptions. It does not matter what type of technical it is, even the second delay warning. What's dumb about this is that the extra two point rule does not extend to intentional or flagrant personal fouls, only technicals. I have pointed this out to them on numerous occasions, but they just don't get it.

I also recently worked at The Hoop in Vancouver, WA (just across the Columbia from Portland) and they do not have that rule. At least they didn't when I worked there this past spring.

We do not use the "bird dog" here.

There is also a Hoop in Salem, OR (about 25 miles south of Portland) and Juulie did not mention something she told me in an email. One of the coaches she had trouble with in Beaverton was from the Salem area and Juulie was told this guy is so bad, he's been suspended from coaching at the Salem Hoop. Maybe if we're lucky, they'll kick him out at Beaverton, too.

Yes, most of the coaches are dads (and a few moms). That makes them wannabees and/or neverwasses. We have restrictions on HS coaches coaching teams in the off season, although many of them find a way to be involved. In our local rec league in my town, the HS coaching staff actually help evaluates players at tryouts for our competitive division teams, gives them drills to run, and the teams run the HS system including using the same terminology. Sometimes they come to the games to watch, but they are careful about not participating at the games.

They also encourage their players to work as refs in our rec division and work their Saturday practices around those kids ref schedule.

We make a donation to the HS athletic fund each year and provide the basketball coaches with our mailing list from our rec division for their camps. This is a big deal, since we have over 1200 kids in that division.

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Sep 30th, 2001 at 02:15 PM]
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 01:49pm
Esteemed Participant

Last time I checked, the Hoop in Vancouver DID use the same T rule as Beaverton...I can double-check that, since they have new management in the last few months, but all the spring stuff I did there had the same T rule...
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

DJ,

What is up with the E.B.O.A.? Whatever became of Rex?
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 03:50pm
Esteemed Participant

He was not re-hired for this season...I have no idea if he will show up at meetings to work ballgames or not...all I know is he is not involved in the assigning phase anymore...
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 05:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
DJ,

Actually, when I started working at The Hoop in Vancouver last spring, I didn't know that I was "volunteered" to become an EBOA (Evergreen Basketball Officials Assn) member. However, it became apparent when I got my check and the dues were taken out.

Just last week, they called me about the first meeting for this year, but I explained I wasn't really interested in maintaining my membership except for occasional games at The Hoop. In fact, with The Hoop in Beaverton now reopened, it was doubtful I would need to work in Vancouver.

Dave Slorey then called and wanted to give me some games, but I couldn't take them.

I wish all you guys in Vancouver WA the best. It was fun working with you, even though it was just for a short time.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 05:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
DJ,

Actually, when I started working at The Hoop in Vancouver last spring, I didn't know that I was "volunteered" to become an EBOA (Evergreen Basketball Officials Assn) member. However, it became apparent when I got my check and the dues were taken out.

Just last week, they called me about the first meeting for this year, but I explained I wasn't really interested in maintaining my membership except for occasional games at The Hoop. In fact, with The Hoop in Beaverton now reopened, it was doubtful I would need to work in Vancouver.

Dave Slorey then called and wanted to give me some games, but I couldn't take them.

I wish all you guys in Vancouver WA the best. It was fun working with you, even though it was just for a short time.

BTW - don't know much about Rex, except he gave me some games at a tournament at the University of Portland a few years ago and he seemed like a really nice guy. [/B]
Old Tue Oct 02, 2001, 09:46am
Esteemed Participant

That doesn't sound right to me...why would they take dues out? Did you talk to Slorey about that? He doesn't handle the financial end of things, but could probably check it out for you...

DJ