View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 02:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Here's some additional info based on questions in the thread above.

The Hoop in Beaverton, OR has a house rule in all leagues, youth and adult, that any technical foul is two shots, possession and an automatic two points for the other team. There are no exceptions. It does not matter what type of technical it is, even the second delay warning. What's dumb about this is that the extra two point rule does not extend to intentional or flagrant personal fouls, only technicals. I have pointed this out to them on numerous occasions, but they just don't get it.

I also recently worked at The Hoop in Vancouver, WA (just across the Columbia from Portland) and they do not have that rule. At least they didn't when I worked there this past spring.

We do not use the "bird dog" here.

There is also a Hoop in Salem, OR (about 25 miles south of Portland) and Juulie did not mention something she told me in an email. One of the coaches she had trouble with in Beaverton was from the Salem area and Juulie was told this guy is so bad, he's been suspended from coaching at the Salem Hoop. Maybe if we're lucky, they'll kick him out at Beaverton, too.

Yes, most of the coaches are dads (and a few moms). That makes them wannabees and/or neverwasses. We have restrictions on HS coaches coaching teams in the off season, although many of them find a way to be involved. In our local rec league in my town, the HS coaching staff actually help evaluates players at tryouts for our competitive division teams, gives them drills to run, and the teams run the HS system including using the same terminology. Sometimes they come to the games to watch, but they are careful about not participating at the games.

They also encourage their players to work as refs in our rec division and work their Saturday practices around those kids ref schedule.

We make a donation to the HS athletic fund each year and provide the basketball coaches with our mailing list from our rec division for their camps. This is a big deal, since we have over 1200 kids in that division.

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Sep 30th, 2001 at 02:15 PM]