The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I think I kicked it. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29926-i-think-i-kicked.html)

Adam Tue Dec 05, 2006 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
Good point Mick. I must be seeing things that aren't there. I hope my partners don't noticed in my V games tonight.:)

Don't worry, as long as the voices don't quit on you, you'll be okay.

Adam Tue Dec 05, 2006 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartsy
They do look similar, and in fact see many officials that use the same signal for both. But as Jurassic said before, they are listed as two different signals.

I'll look closer at the rulebook, but from what I recall and what I observe from others, there is no need to have a palm up when signalling a backcourt, whereas you want to do that for a carry.

Think of a carry signal as a demonstration, without the ball, of what was done. A backcourt violation signal is more just moving your hand, palm down, from left to right (frontcourt/backcourt) as if you had it on a ball and were rocking it back and forth.

Must be a regional thing. I've always seen the same signal for both.

blindzebra Tue Dec 05, 2006 01:59pm

2003-2005 officials manual had them listed as one signal.

I actually do both differently and if you look at the book, now they are different...over and back starts with your arm extended, similar to how you point to the spot, and then you rotate your lower arm so that your palm goes palm up, palm down...a carry starts with your arm bent and your palm up and you just roll your wrist so that you go palm down.;)

Junker Tue Dec 05, 2006 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Don't worry, as long as the voices don't quit on you, you'll be okay.

You mean those voices I hear every night except Wednesday and Sunday that say, "3 seconds", "that's a reach" and "over the back"? I doubt if those quit anytime soon. They seem to go away in late February.

rainmaker Tue Dec 05, 2006 05:33pm

I try to do backcourt as though I'm pointing to one side of a line, and then the other side, so I leave my palm more or less downward, and just move it in a slightly arching motion, using a lot of horizontal. I do carry more up and down with the palm facing up and hand moving straight up, and then flip hand downward and move it downward. not much horizontal, mostly vertical. This makes it easier to tell the difference.

I was sorry I did this last week when I made a very,very bad backcourt call, and I wished I could have said, "No, no, not backcourt, I was signalling a carry!" But the mechanic made it clear what I was calling, which was without question, wrong.!!!

Hartsy Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:59am

[QUOTE=rainmaker]I try to do backcourt as though I'm pointing to one side of a line, and then the other side, so I leave my palm more or less downward, and just move it in a slightly arching motion, using a lot of horizontal. I do carry more up and down with the palm facing up and hand moving straight up, and then flip hand downward and move it downward. not much horizontal, mostly vertical. This makes it easier to tell the difference.
QUOTE]

That's it! Thanks for letting me know I wasn't all alone on this.