The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 03:44am
Official Forum Member

Angry Selective censorship!

I must complain about some of the recent editing of posts by our moderator Bob J. Who almost always does a fine job for us, but lately I feel is not acting with proper discretion.

In this thread: Have you had to be the fashion police?

He deleted the part of my post (#33) which stated that deecee was immature and part of the problem with sportsmanship for his refusal to properly enforce the coaching box regulations. I don't believe that what I wrote is one bit untrue or out of line.

However, he didn't touch deecee's post (#29), which to this one was a response, wherein he directly calls me an a$$.

I now have some empathy with JR when he left the forum for a while in protest.
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 07:10am
In Memoriam

Afaik the moderators try to follow the direction given to them by the owners of this site- Brad et al. If we didn't have moderators, we could be having the same problems that McGriffs constantly seems to run into. So....agreeing or disagreeing with the mods is kind of a moot point imo. If you want to post here, you just accept it.

It's a tough, unpopular job sometimes but it has to be done. I think that the guys here do a pretty good job over-all keeping a whole bunch of disparate personalities in line.

There's some basketball rules that I don't personally like either, but I still have to enforce them.

And this comes from someone who had about 23 posts removed yesterday.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 07:13am.
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
It's a tough, unpopular job sometimes but it has to be done. I think that the guys here do a pretty good job over-all keeping a whole bunch of disparate personalities in line.
And this comes from someone who had about 23 posts removed yesterday.
Wow, I am chastened. Thank you for these gentle reminders, Woddy. I vow to be more upright in tone, more proper in vocabulary, and more restricted in subject on this board. Which won't be difficult, since I couldn't have gotten much worse than yesterday!
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 09:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I vow to be more upright in tone, more proper in vocabulary, and more restricted in subject on this board.
Naw, just be your usual miserable self. Let your "inner woman" come out.

Speaking of "inner woman". I wonder how M&M did last night in his Friday Night Wimmens Bowling League.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sat Dec 02, 2006 at 10:13am.
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Two things:

1) Every year about this time, the volume of posts increases. In the past, this has meant that I'd get messages from "esteemed members" asking that much of the off-topic crap (although that might be my word) be stopped so that the time spent on this site can be more productive and focused on basketball officiating. This year, I've tried to be more proactive in that moderating, in the hopes that certain offenders would get the hint. So far, it doesn't seem to be working (I'll refrain from saying that those posters are dense). So, here's a direct plea: STFU.

2) Sometimes stuff gets missed (especially when I spend my time on item 1 above and on the spam in the general thread). Sometimes it's hard to tell who fired the first shot. Sometimes I read stuff on one thread that pushes the envelope, but doesn't cross the line (how's that for mixing metaphors?), but then I read a "retaliation" on another thread that gets dealt with but I don't go back to the first thread. Sometimes a poster's "attitude" seems (to me) to change, and maybe the poster doesn't realize it. Sometimes a spat between two posters makes me more senstive to a discussion between two other posters and I "over moderate." Sometimes I want to respond to what I view as moronic posts, or whining responses, or sophomoric attempts at humor with a jab of my own. Sometimes I do.
Closed Thread