The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 22, 2000, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

What is the official definition for a rebound. As the official scorer, I have had some disputes. I was told the ball could not hit the ground, while others tell me that it is possession after the shot. HELP
Old Sat Jan 22, 2000, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by tgkeeton on 01-22-2000 11:06 AM

What is the official definition for a rebound. As the official scorer, I have had some disputes. I was told the ball could not hit the ground, while others tell me it is possession after the shot. HELP

The rule book merely says that rebounding is "an attempt by any player to secure possession of the ball following a try or tap for goal." Since it usually involves efforts to gain the best position (i.e., boxing out), I would think even if the ball hits the floor a player could have put himself in an advantageous position to retrieve it and, therefore, that it should still be considered a rebound (though not the "classic" rebound as we usually think of it). But, there is no official definition or criteria in the Rules Book about that, since the rules are more concerned about the ACT of rebounding and positioning.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2000, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Thom
For purposes of stats the first player to gain control of the ball after a missed try gets credit for the rebound. If the player commits a foul in the act of rebounding it is a team rebound for the team that was fouled. If a ball goes OB after a try the team that gets possesion gets a team rebound. If a rebound results in a held ball the player whose team has the possesion arrow gets credit for the rebound. Simply put, if there is a missed try, there must be a rebound. Some of the new electronic stat boards will return error codes if there is no rebound after a missed try.