The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 24, 2001, 08:59pm
In Memoriam

Will there be volleyball in the autumn and girls' basketball in the winter in Michigan?
The "Gender Equality" lawsuit filed in March finally began today.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2001, 08:19am
In Memoriam

Post a note - FWIW

Michigan is one of five states in which girls play basketball in the fall and volleyball in the winter, and the other four are all reversing the seasons in the next couple of years.

The two remaining states are Hawaii, where girls play volleyball in the winter and basketball in the spring, and Rhode Island, where girls play basketball in the winter and volleyball in the spring.

Old Tue Sep 25, 2001, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

In NC, girls play volleyball and tennis in the fall, basketball in the winter, and softball, soccer, and track in the spring.

Quite honestly, it would be wiser to play VB in the spring, and softball in the fall. Why? They start softball practice on February 1st. I realize we're in NC, and not one of the northern staes but it's still quite cold here, on in to March. But we still have very good weather for outdoor sports in the fall until late October. They're outside when they should be inside and inside when they should be outside. It makes no sense.

In Michigan, why does it matter when these sports are played as long as they are offered? I can see a day when boys and girls season will have to be separated, just so that we will have enough officials to work the games.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 25, 2001, 08:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
In NC, girls play volleyball and tennis in the fall, basketball in the winter, and softball, soccer, and track in the spring.

Quite honestly, it would be wiser to play VB in the spring, and softball in the fall. Why? They start softball practice on February 1st. I realize we're in NC, and not one of the northern staes but it's still quite cold here, on in to March. But we still have very good weather for outdoor sports in the fall until late October. They're outside when they should be inside and inside when they should be outside. It makes no sense.

In Michigan, why does it matter when these sports are played as long as they are offered? I can see a day when boys and girls season will have to be separated, just so that we will have enough officials to work the games.
Tony,
Below is a link to USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps...-24-gender.htm
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

"In Michigan, why does it matter when these sports are played as long as they are offered? I can see a day when boys and girls season will have to be separated, just so that we will have enough officials to work the games."

Have you ever been in the Upper Midwest in the fall?

Bob
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 07:02am
In Memoriam

Smile I think so.

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra

Have you ever been in the Upper Midwest in the fall?

Bob
I think I'm sitting there now.
...About five miles from Lake Superior.
Trees are getting pretty. Darn it.
White's around the corner.
mick