The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 22, 2000, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Hello, i am not a offical but i have a question for all of you.. I coach a girls team and today in a game a little problem arose. The other team was shooting a foul shot and i pulled two of my girls off the line, now doesn't the other team have to have two off the line as well?? I was told i was wrong, by the other coach, and am not sure if that is true. If anyone could help clear this up i would TRULY appriciate it!! Thanks
Old Sat Jan 22, 2000, 07:55pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
The only requirement on a free throw is that the player shooting the free throws be on the line, and that two of her opponents occupy the spaces closest to the basket.

If you want to pull your players off the line, that is fine, but the other team can keep their players along the lane - and will probably take the spaces that you just vacated.

If you pull them off for one shot (to talk to a player, for instance) and then go back, then your players are entitled to "their" spot. For instance, if your team is shooting, then your players have the right to the 2nd space closest to the board. If a player from the other team occupied that spot on the first free throw, she would now have to move "up" a spot.