The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

This is why I do it !

I had a 4th and 5th grade boys and girls game last night that still has me smiling this morning. 4th quarter of the girls game and we have a 30 pt game with the home team being up. It is a very small gym and we have parents and grand parents waiting to get in for the boys game.

The smallest kid on the visiting team finally gets in the game with about 2 mins to go. They finally get the ball to her and she gets "fouled" while trying to shoot. The first shot was no where near the basket. I looked at the home team Coach for approval to move her closer to the basket for the second shot. The home team coach gave me the nod. I moved her to about 5-6 from the basket and the whole place gets quiet. She takes a few dribbles, eyes the hoop and gives it all she has got to make it to the baket. Nothing but nylon, the whole gum errupts clapping for her (both home and visiting fans). She is all smiles as she runs back down court, what I figure is her Mom is surrounded by people giving her high fives as she begins to tear up with joy. The game ends and the home team wins by 30+ but the only thing people are talking about is the made free throw by the little girl. Her Mom came over and told me and my partner thank you following the game as her daughter starts runnning around with her friends and doing cartwheels.

It reminded me that the reason I continue to stay involved is not for me....but for the kids !

Last edited by tnroundballref; Tue Nov 21, 2006 at 12:48pm.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Great story, thanks for sharing it.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Great story, it reminds me of some of my experiences like this one.

It's too bad that I don't want to do much youth basketball anymore because of the sour taste in my mouth from all the ignorant and unsporting parents. I'm missing out on some of the good experiences with the kids!
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 02:24pm
MABO Member

Great Story ... Cherish it because by 7th grade this same kids parents will expect their child to be treated like the next SUperStar. At least thats how it seems sometimes. This situation is a keeper though.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:03pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
Great story, it reminds me of some of my experiences like this one.

It's too bad that I don't want to do much youth basketball anymore because of the sour taste in my mouth from all the ignorant and unsporting parents. I'm missing out on some of the good experiences with the kids!
I'm in the same boat as you All. Parents down at this level just don't understand, they automatically think they have the next NBA star. Oh well, I actually still do a handful of these games every year just to fund my trip to the State tournament.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Every once in a while though, things can be good. I did boys JV game tonight at a new private christian school. This school is brand new and is only playing a JV schedule. They have a brand new gym. They played loud pre-game motivational music (not like what I hear at other schools), had an outstanding performance of the National Anthem by a parent, had signs posted all over the gym, and announced all players. Now we spend a lot of time telling players to pull their shorts up but these kids had their pants pulled up so far they almost covered the numbers. Game starts and it's 9-9 at the end of the 1st quarter. We had to tell the home team to stop playing music every time the home team scored. After a nail biting 1st quarter the game finished up 51-15 in favor of the visiting team. The visiting coach never rubbed it in but he only had six players so they kept scoring. By the end of the game all the fans were cheering for both teams and even the visiting coaches clapped when a small point guard on the home team hit a 10 foot jumper. What a great experience. Like tnroundballref, this is why I do this. At least in one small part of the South, all was well tonight, and I was glad to be a part of it.