The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Question #28 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29452-question-28-a.html)

IREFU2 Tue Nov 14, 2006 08:50am

Question #28

This one kind of stumped me and I think I got it right. A Team Control Foul can also be intentional or flagrant. I put false. Comments?:confused:

Raymond Tue Nov 14, 2006 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
This one kind of stumped me and I think I got it right. A Team Control Foul can also be intentional or flagrant. I put false. Comments?:confused:

Read 4-19-7 and then read 4-19-2, in that order.

just another ref Tue Nov 14, 2006 09:14am

4-19-7 A team control foul is a common foul..........

4-19-2 A common foul is a personal foul which is neither flagrant or intentional.......

Sounds false to me.

It's good if you got it right on the test, because that's the only place you will ever need that information.

Raymond Tue Nov 14, 2006 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref

It's good if you got it right on the test, because that's the only place you will ever need that information.

Not true. A1 could be dribbling the ball and A2 commits an especially heinous foul on B2. Would you call just a normal, run-of-the-mill team control foul on A2.

IREFU2 Tue Nov 14, 2006 09:17am

Yes, I read those two Rules and I am assuming its a trick question!

Raymond Tue Nov 14, 2006 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
Yes, I read those two Rules and I am assuming its a trick question!

Rob, it's not a trick question. It's a rules knowledge question. Read my reply to JAR.

just another ref Tue Nov 14, 2006 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Not true. A1 could be dribbling the ball and A2 commits an especially heinous foul on B2. Would you call just a normal, run-of-the-mill team control foul on A2.

No, but what's that got to do with this?

Raymond Tue Nov 14, 2006 09:30am

Quote:

It has to do with whether or not you are going enforce the penalty as a Team Control foul or as an intentional/flagrant.

just another ref Tue Nov 14, 2006 09:46am

Quote:

Quote:

It has to do with whether or not you are going enforce the penalty as a Team Control foul or as an intentional/flagrant.

My point is that this is rule book language. Multiple choice question:

Which of the following passages comes from the rule book?

A. There are no free throws on a team control foul unless it is deemed
intentional or flagrant.

B. While A1 is holding the ball, if A2 commits a foul which is intentional or
flagrant, it is not a team control foul.

You could get the call right whether you knew the answer to this question or not.

IREFU2 Tue Nov 14, 2006 09:54am

Okay, the answer is false. No need for a big heated discussion. I just thought it was kind of a strange question. Both argued points are valid.

Raymond Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:27am

Quote:

Quote:

intentional or flagrant.

You could get the call right whether you knew the answer to this question or not.

Well, I know B didn't come from the rulebook b/c I wrote it. I'm still trying to find A in the rulebook but I seem to be having a problem locating it.

You may not think it matters, that's fine. But I think if an official reports A2's intentional/flagrant foul as a Team Control foul, Coach A is gonna have a problem when B2 is shooting free throws instead of Team B taking the ball out nearest the spot of the foul.

And since IREFU2 and I are in the same HS association I want to make sure he and I are on the same page. Because just our luck, we'll have our first game together and this exact scenario will happen. :eek:

PS: Rob, I only get heated at my kids, the ex-wife, the occasional girlfriend, and the Philadelphia Eagles' poor tackling.

IREFU2 Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:30am

I need to get on your level before we have a game together and you would be the Referee to keep the game straight...LOL!!! Is that occasioal girlfriend from Phili????????

just another ref Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:50am

Quote:
Multiple choice question:

intentional or flagrant.

Quote:

Well, I know B didn't come from the rulebook b/c I wrote it. I'm still trying to find A in the rulebook but I seem to be having a problem locating it.

You may not think it matters, that's fine. But I think if an official reports A2's intentional/flagrant foul as a Team Control foul, Coach A is gonna have a problem when B2 is shooting free throws instead of Team B taking the ball out nearest the spot of the foul.

Neither passage is from a book, but both would produce the same final result.

I guarantee you most coaches know a lot less about rulebook language than you and I do. If you report a flagrant or intentional foul on A1, I would be amazed if any coach ever asked, "Wasn't that a team control foul?"
BUT, they could, and even if they did and you incorrectly informed them that it was indeed a team control foul but you still get free throws since it was intentional/flagrant, 90 something % of coaches would not know the difference. And what difference is there, really? It's in the book as a personal foul. We will shoot 2, B will get the ball at the spot nearest the foul.
Now that the test is over, what reason is there for anyone to know whether this an exception to the team control rule, or the fact that the foul is intentional/flagrant means that it is no longer a team control foul.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:50am

Quote:

intentional or flagrant.

This one can't come from the rules book, because a TC foul cannot be I or F.

It's the same (or nearly so) as whether a player with the ball can commit a personl foul that's not a PC -- clearly so, and FTs would be shot.

bronco Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:45am

Quote:

It's the same (or nearly so) as whether a player with the ball can commit a personl foul that's not a PC -- clearly so, and FTs would be shot.
It's not entirely clear to me what an example of this is, but then again you know the rules better than I do.:)

I could think maybe a flagrant foul on a person who has the ball, but I'm not sure if that's what you were talking about.