The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Time out or no time out?

This happened to me tonight in a junior high game. A1 has the ball and is being pressured by B1. B1 reaches around A1 and grabs her arm trying to get the ball. I start to raise my fist but before I can blow the whistle A1 yells "Time out" because she is under intense pressure. I definitely had a foul before the TO call so I continued with my call on B1 for holding. It was also clear that A1 was calling the TO because of the pressure by B1. My question is: because I called a foul on B1 do I have to call the time out? I asked the coach if he still wanted it and he said no so we ignored the time out. No one questioned it so it was no big deal but the more I think about it the more I think I should have called the foul and granted the time out request too. I can't find something in the rulebook that allows me to ignore the time out just because I know what A1's intentions were. Thoughts?
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

I would do as you did. No need to complicate things. It's a request. If you don't grant it, it can be ignored.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 08:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao
This happened to me tonight in a junior high game. A1 has the ball and is being pressured by B1. B1 reaches around A1 and grabs her arm trying to get the ball. I start to raise my fist but before I can blow the whistle A1 yells "Time out" because she is under intense pressure. I definitely had a foul before the TO call so I continued with my call on B1 for holding. It was also clear that A1 was calling the TO because of the pressure by B1. My question is: because I called a foul on B1 do I have to call the time out? I asked the coach if he still wanted it and he said no so we ignored the time out. No one questioned it so it was no big deal but the more I think about it the more I think I should have called the foul and granted the time out request too. I can't find something in the rulebook that allows me to ignore the time out just because I know what A1's intentions were. Thoughts?
Had the exact same scenario in a girls game last year. And I started with the fist but heard A1 request T-O so I opened my hand and granted T-O. Coach A wasn't too happy but Team A was blowing the other team out and Coach A had been an a-hole all game so I didn't feel bad.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

You did it correctly. You must handle things in the order in which they happened. Call the foul, and then ask if they still want to request a time-out. It is obvious that the time-out was being called to retain possession, and that was done by means of the foul, and no time-out is needed. As another said, it is a request and does not need to be granted.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Had a similar sitch last weekend. Throwin by A1, as the count gets close to 5, B2 fouls A2. Before I could blow my whistle, head coach for A asks for timeout. I report the foul, and look at the coach and ask if he still wants the TO. He does, so I grant it.