The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question Consensus - Clean Block Signal?

I know the reasons not to make the clean block signal -- it isn't approved (to my knowledge), it makes your partner look bad if he comes up with a foul -- but I've seen many good senior officials use it anyway. It seems to me officials use it to signal to everyone that they saw the play clearly - and have nothing, much like the use of the "tipped" signal when a ball is deflected to the backcourt by a defensive player. What's the consensus of the forum? Use it or do nothing?
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 01:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp
I know the reasons not to make the clean block signal -- it isn't approved (to my knowledge), it makes your partner look bad if he comes up with a foul -- but I've seen many good senior officials use it anyway. It seems to me officials use it to signal to everyone that they saw the play clearly - and have nothing, much like the use of the "tipped" signal when a ball is deflected to the backcourt by a defensive player. What's the consensus of the forum? Use it or do nothing?
I might use it (the signal) once we're headed the other direction and the coach is still complaining about the no-call.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 01:52pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I might use it (the signal) once we're headed the other direction and the coach is still complaining about the no-call.
Exactly what I was going to say. I would never do it during the play, for exactly the reason that was stated: if my partner comes up with a foul, we look like idiots.

But once the play has moved on, if the coach says, "No foul??!?!", you can give the "clean block" signal and tell him, "all ball, coach."
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 02:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not use the signal because very early in my career I used the "tip signal" and my partner called a foul. It looked really bad and no I do not use it on block/foul situations. The only time I will use the "tip signal" is to give information to my partner on a possible BC violation and when we have an out of bounds call that hardly anyone can see why I might have called. So we are talking only one or two times a season if that. I would not advocate such a signal on a possible foul call.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp
...officials use it to signal to everyone that they saw the play clearly - and have nothing
I never use it.

If you saw it clearly then your silent whistle says all that's needed to be said. But if you do use it and then later I don't what is that telling everyone? I missed it now but you had it right before? Or what if you don't use it later on? You telling everyone that you missed this call?

Makes no sense to me.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I try to stay away from such signals too. I had an instance where I did that and then a late whistle came in. Look very bad on both officials.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Chuckle

I only use it for a chuckle; if somebody swats one into the 10th row, I'll give it a "clean block" signal, with a straight face of course.
TR
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

I do not like that signal at all, and do not use it. If only more officials in my area felt the same.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
All I need to know is that my assignor doesn't approve of it, and it will get me a ding on my eval if I do it when someone is watching. So I don't do it at all.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

I never use it during live play. If a coach is yelling about something and I'm away from him but want to communicate the ball was touched, I might use it. But even then, I try not to.

If the coach doesn't like the fact that you didn't call a foul, rubbing one hand against the other one isn't going to make him feel any better.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 05:29pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp
What's the consensus of the forum? Use it or do nothing?
Do nothing.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 05:41pm
Never Stop Learning

Too many reasons not to and not any good reasons to use it. When I see it used it makes me feel like the official is trying to alibi. The only time I would use it is if a tipped ball went out of bounds or into BC and a partner was asking for help on the call.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

No. Never.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

The only time i use it is if i'm the T or C on an outside shot and the defensive player gets a hand on it, to let everyone know that it was tipped/blocked, so if it goes out of bounds, let's everyone know it wasn't an airball, it was tipped!
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 03:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I used it when I was new; not any longer. Too many reasons not to use it; if the coach wants me to explain what I saw, have a player call a timeout.