The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
T after time expires

Had this thought about free throws after time expires:

If the game is tied and time has expired, someone from team A is called for a T. If I remember correctly, the overtime period will be played regardless of the free throws made or missed.

Am I making this up? Rule reference if not?
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 10:19am
In Memoriam

Sounds good to me. See casebook play 5.6COMMENT B.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

There is an exception, 5-6-2 exception 4. If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter or extra period, the next quarter or extra period is started by administering the free throws. This applies when the foul occurs after any quarter has ended including the fourth quarter, provided there is to be an extra period. If there is now way to determine whether there will be an extra period until the free throws are administered, the free thorws are attempted immediately, as if the foul had been part of the preceding quarter.
Gotta like the rules book on my palm pilot!
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I need my casebook? Could someone post that casebook play? I don't have mine at work with me.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
There is an exception, 5-6-2 exception 4. If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter or extra period, the next quarter or extra period is started by administering the free throws. This applies when the foul occurs after any quarter has ended including the fourth quarter, provided there is to be an extra period. If there is now way to determine whether there will be an extra period until the free throws are administered, the free thorws are attempted immediately, as if the foul had been part of the preceding quarter.
Gotta like the rules book on my palm pilot!
That's not an exception to the OT rule. If the game is tied when the 4th period ends, OVERTIME WILL BE PLAYED.

"If there is now way to determine whether there will be an extra period until the free throws are administered, the free throws are attempted immediately, as if the foul had been part of the preceding quarter," means that if a team is leading by 1 or 2 points, then the FTs must be shot to determine if OT is played.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

5.6.2 Situation D

Team A trails 60-59 with just a few seconds remaining in the 4th qtr of play. A1 is fould in the act of shooting by B1 but time expires before the ball is in flight. A1 is awarded two FTs. Coach B is charged with a technical foul before A1's attempts. A1 makes: (a) neither throw (b) one throw (c) both throws. When does Team A shoot the FTs for the T Foul?

RULING: In (a) and (b), the two free throws for the T will are attempted as part of the fourth quarter as the foul occurred before the 4th quarter ended. In (a), the two free throws for the technical foul will determine if an extra period is necessary. In (b), the one successful FT ties the game and if either FT for the T is successful, no extra period is required. In (c), the two successful FTs dictate that there will be no extra period. THe Free Throws for the T are not administered as the outcome of the game has been determined. A quarter or extra period does not end until all free throws which could affect the outcome of the game have been attempted and related activity has been completed. (4-41-1; 5-6-3; Exception 6-7-7)
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
5.6.2 Situation D
I don't think this applies to my question, since the T was before the free throws were attempted, the T is part of the 4th quarter. The throws for the T will be shot if A is losing or the game is tied.

In my question, the game is tied when time expires, then a T is given. The T is part of the extra period.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukealex
I don't think this applies to my question, since the T was before the free throws were attempted, the T is part of the 4th quarter. The throws for the T will be shot if A is losing or the game is tied.

In my question, the game is tied when time expires, then a T is given. The T is part of the extra period.
It applies in the sense that it doesn't fit any of those exceptions, so the shots will be part of the Overtime period.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

I agree

In the scenario you describe, the T is assessed after the ball is dead to end the 4th quarter, therefore the FTs are part of the OT.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukealex
Had this thought about free throws after time expires:

If the game is tied and time has expired, someone from team A is called for a T. If I remember correctly, the overtime period will be played regardless of the free throws made or missed.

Am I making this up? Rule reference if not?

Thanks for posting this senerio and forcing me to look it up. If I had seen this in an actual game I would have tried to apply 5.6.2 and end the game with the results of the T. When I saw the reply from JR I thought I had finally caught him in a "learning process", but knowing his reputation for rules knowledge, I knew I had better get my ducks in line before I posted. Turns out I was the one caught in the "learning process".

What a great tool this forum is!
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 11:56am
In Memoriam

Casebook play 5.6COMMENT B

If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter, the next quarter is started by administering the free throws. This applies when the foul occurs even after the first half has ended. It also applies when the foul occurs after the second half has ended, provided the score is tied.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, that makes sense. I remembered having this discussion with another official a few years ago and I agreed with the OP until I went digging in the rulesbook. I should have trusted I was right in the beginning.