The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 15, 2001, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

I just worked a game where this happened: I am trail and a player attempts a three point shot from below the free throw line extended on the lead's side. Being in his primary, he indicates a three point attempt but when the ball goes in, he does nothing. I go up with the successful three point shot. In talking about it with him at first opportunity, he says that as lead he is only supposed to indicate the three point attempt and not to signal at all if it is successful. The manual says that the covering official (in this case the lead) should signal both the attempt and the successful shot and that the trail should then mirror the successful shot signal. This is how I have been doing it for some time but he insisted otherwise. While it is clear what the book says, I was wondering if anyone else having a problem in this area?
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 02:09am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

On this paragraph from the 1999-2001 Official's Manual --
Paragraph 281d, as originally printed, makes it appear as though the Lead should mirropr the Trail on 3-point attempts (2-person mechanics). The paragraph is wrong -- the word "not" was left out when the book was printed.
Maybe I'm missing something (in other words, I'm having another "senior moment"), but didn't the original post address the trail mirroring the lead, not the other way around?

I have found that if the lead makes the signal on a 3 below the free throw line (correctly) and the trail doesn't mirror it, the chances of the table not knowing it was a 3 are about 1 in 2 and the chances of the table at least asking about it are at least 1 in 4. I always mirror if I am trail, but never mirror if I am lead.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 07:54am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Per Padgett = Per book

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

I always mirror if I am trail, but never mirror if I am lead.
They fixed the book and of course Padgett is correct.

2001-2003 Officials Manual

"281.c. When a player attempts a three-point field goal, the official whose area the player is in will signal by extending one arm at head level with three fingers extended.

281.d.
If the three-point attempt is successful, the covering official will signal by extending both arms over the head with palms facing each other. When the Trail Official signals a successful three-point attempt, the Lead official shall not mirror the signal. When the Lead official signals a successful three-point attempt, the Trail official shall mirror the signal."

In the original post, the covering Lead official kicked the mechanic in 281.d. by not signalling the successful attempt.
If the Trail had not seen the signal for attempt, then he will not signal the successful attempt.
Yes, the Lead should show "success".

mick

Old Sun Sep 16, 2001, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

On this paragraph from the 1999-2001 Official's Manual --
Paragraph 281d, as originally printed, makes it appear as though the Lead should mirropr the Trail on 3-point attempts (2-person mechanics). The paragraph is wrong -- the word "not" was left out when the book was printed.
Maybe I'm missing something (in other words, I'm having another "senior moment"), but didn't the original post address the trail mirroring the lead, not the other way around?

I have found that if the lead makes the signal on a 3 below the free throw line (correctly) and the trail doesn't mirror it, the chances of the table not knowing it was a 3 are about 1 in 2 and the chances of the table at least asking about it are at least 1 in 4. I always mirror if I am trail, but never mirror if I am lead.
I'm sure you're correct. The post that I went back and found was about three pages long. I tried to dig it the correct answer but it got pretty silly. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about this since I don't work 2 man!

I've deleted the post so as to know create an confusion.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Generally, where I am at we try to do what your partner did. You have seen what the mechanics manual states. But most of the guys that work here dont signal the successfule three unless they know the trail did not pick up the inital cue of the three pointer. We have found it is cleaner and looks better without both going up. The way we do it... Lead raises the one arm (ques it) , Trail sees it and goes up, when trail is up with the que, lead drops it, when it goes in trail is the only one who signals. Your partner may have been to a camp that learned it this way... There are several places that teach that mechanic
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 12:16pm
Esteemed Participant

I believe your partner was confusing two-person mechanics with the NCAA three-person mechanic...in two person, he should have signalled the successful three-pointer...in NCAA three-person, you don't give that touchdown signal from the lead spot...

dj
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
I believe your partner was confusing two-person mechanics with the NCAA three-person mechanic...in two person, he should have signalled the successful three-pointer...in NCAA three-person, you don't give that touchdown signal from the lead spot...

dj
In NCAA men's you don't even give the 3 point try signal
from L, no?
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 02:56pm
Esteemed Participant

I believe you are correct...I was speaking from NCAA Women's mechanics...
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

DJ,

Glad to see your input on this. As one of my initial trainers, I always took to heart what you had to say and still do.

Paul
Old Tue Sep 18, 2001, 12:14pm
Esteemed Participant

Well thank you sir...just remember to take the sarcasm with a grain of salt!
Old Tue Sep 18, 2001, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
3 person mens

Dan,

The L can and may need to give the "3 signal" in the transition game. He will drop it after one of the other two officials picks up his signal and goes up with their own "3". He still does not signal the make however.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2001, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Just for someone who's a lowly JV official and trying to break into varsity in the near future, are we talkin' HS or collegiate ball here?

Old Tue Sep 18, 2001, 01:56pm
In Memoriam

Re: 3 person mens

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Dan,

The L can and may need to give the "3 signal" in the transition game. He will drop it after one of the other two officials picks up his signal and goes up with their own "3". He still does not signal the make however.
Last year, from Lead in a Mens' game, I saw a three that neither Trail, nor Center, saw, or marked. On my way back down court I told the table to mark it a three. At the next dead ball I told the Ref.
mick
Old Tue Sep 18, 2001, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: 3 person mens

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Dan,

Big, (I hope you don't mind me calling you Big )

I gotcha, thanks. Falls under the heading of "make sure
we get it right", no?

Dan