The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Truth is, I would have called it a held ball pretty quickly to keep anyone from getting hurt. Coaches aren't likely to argue that one. The ones last night on TV didn't...

------------------
Brian Johnson
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Question

Saw this in a high school game I was watching on cable last night.

Loose ball under the basket, one kid on the ground ends up with the ball between his feet. An opponent tries to take it away, and grabs hold of the ball with his hands. But the first kid has such a good grip with his feet, the opponent can't take it away.

What's the call? Held Ball? Kicked Ball? Takedown - two points?

Official called a held ball (which I don't really disagree with). The commentators weren't sure about the rule (big surprise), but made a funny line about it being a Greco Roman rule...

------------------
Brian Johnson
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Well, it IS unusual, but by rule (4-25-1) it is NOT a held ball. A held ball by definition entails having players' HANDS on the ball so firmly that control can't be obtained without undue roughness. I would say you let the opponent continue to try to get the ball until it comes loose, or someone fouls (possibly the guy on the floor kicks the opponent?). But, since such a scenario is so rare, it might just be safer for all concerned to call the jump ball if it can't be resolved quickly. I doubt that anyone would strongly object to that, and probably wouldn't know the difference anyway.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Hi Brian, Nice to see you here. Hope your season is going well.

I would call a held ball in this situation, I think the the spirit of the rule it to prevent players from killing each other to get control of the ball. You know me well enough to know that I am pretty quick when it comes to calling the held ball. Even when no one has control, but are scrambling on the floor in a pile (Emphasis on one pile, ball not rolling around, but in tht middle of the pile) trying to get the ball. Better to call the held ball then have a player get blasted.........Never had a coach complain about this one.

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

[This message has been edited by Ron Pilo (edited January 21, 2000).]
Old Fri Jan 21, 2000, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Take that play a step further and suppose the kid had rolled onto the ball and didn't have contact with the ball with his hands or feet, but instead was just kind of laying on it, and the opponent comes in and tries to take it away? Probably still a jump ball!?