The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Part I Question

Headbands and sweatbands must be the same dominant color of the team jersey or white.

True or False.

R3-5-3a should give you a clue as to what the answer is.

BTW...this is the only answer I missed on the Part I test (Open Book)...I think I read too much into it.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 04:18am
In Memoriam

You probably thought of 3-5-3(d) also, and got penalized for knowing too much about the rules.

How come the FED didn't put any color/size restrictions on rubber/cloth hair control bands like they did on headbands/sweatbands?

Not that I really care.....
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

This rule may put an end to sweatbands and headbands. I was at a jamboree for 4 hours on Saturday. I saw 16 teams in that time playing on two different gym floors. I also saw exactly ONE player with sweatbands on. Coaches in my area seem to be taking the approach that they just aren't going to fool with them.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 08:31am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Headbands and sweatbands must be the same dominant color of the team jersey or white.

True or False.
I think it's true, isn't it? Is there more to the question that I don't get?
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicReferee
You probably thought of 3-5-3(d) also, and got penalized for knowing too much about the rules.

How come the FED didn't put any color/size restrictions on rubber/cloth hair control bands like they did on headbands/sweatbands?

Not that I really care.....
Good question...maybe next year...but, I don't really care either since I only officiate boys basketball. (I haven't seen too many hair bands on the boys side)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I think it's true, isn't it? Is there more to the question that I don't get?
3-5-3(a)
"Headbands and sweatbands must be white or similar color to the torso of the jersey and must be the same color for each item and all participants."

I thought similar and same meant two different things.
The rule says similar...therefore, IMO...if a team had royal blue jerseys then a light blue headband/sweatband should be OK. The test question made it sound, to me, like the headbands and sweatbands have to be exactly the SAME color as the jersey.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Same and similar are the not the same (pardon the pun). If they are to be the same color, than if the jersey is white, the headbans and sweatbans are to be white. If they are to be similar, then if the jerseys are white, the sweatbans can be off white or any color similar to white. Just my two cents.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Same and similar are the not the same (pardon the pun). If they are to be the same color, than if the jersey is white, the headbans and sweatbans are to be white. If they are to be similar, then if the jerseys are white, the sweatbans can be off white or any color similar to white. Just my two cents.
I think it means that all the sweatbands and headbands that a team wears have to be the SAME color, and that color can be either white or a color similar to the jersey.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I think it means that all the sweatbands and headbands that a team wears have to be the SAME color, and that color can be either white or a color similar to the jersey.
That was what our interpreter said Sunday nite at our rules meeting - Navy and another blue color, as long as the color was similar (some form of blue, not red or green) was ok.

He also said we're not supposed to penalize it - basically try to catch it before we have to penalize it, and have the player fix it. The situation says if you get 5 players starting with illegal attire, they would each get a T - even I would hesitate (as picky and by the book as I am) with giving out 5 T's to start a game - I guess I would wonder what I was doing before when I didn't notice these things. Now, if they were ok before the game in warmups, put them on, and came out to do the jump ball..... hmm - maybe.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
He also said we're not supposed to penalize it - basically try to catch it before we have to penalize it, and have the player fix it. The situation says if you get 5 players starting with illegal attireshirts or shorts, they would each get a T - even I would hesitate (as picky and by the book as I am) with giving out 5 T's to start a game - I guess I would wonder what I was doing before when I didn't notice these things. Now, if they were ok before the game in warmups, put them on, and came out to do the jump ball..... hmm - maybe .
(You had some misunderstandings in your post. I struck them and added the red.)

I truly hope that your interpreter stressed to you that there is no penalty for illegal items other than shirts (the team jersey) and shorts (the bottoms of the team uniform). Do NOT issue a T for a player wearing jewelry, illegal sweatbands, headbands, hair clips, undershirts, or undershorts. You simply do not permit this player to participate while wearing the item. The only penalty is that the kid cannot enter the game, if you caught it prior to the entry, or he/she must correct the equipment immediately or leave the game to do so, if you failed to notice it beforehand and the kid became a player.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 07:52am.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 07:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
That was what our interpreter said Sunday nite at our rules meeting - Navy and another blue color, as long as the color was similar (some form of blue, not red or green) was ok.

He also said we're not supposed to penalize it - basically try to catch it before we have to penalize it, and have the player fix it. The situation says if you get 5 players starting with illegal attire, they would each get a T - even I would hesitate (as picky and by the book as I am) with giving out 5 T's to start a game - I guess I would wonder what I was doing before when I didn't notice these things. Now, if they were ok before the game in warmups, put them on, and came out to do the jump ball..... hmm - maybe.
David, you can't penalize it. Ever! You can penalize "uniform" violations with a technical foul, but headbands and sweatbands are not part of the player "uniform". You tell the player to either take off the illegal headband/sweatband, or leave the floor until they do so.

You must have misunderstood your rules interpreter. I can't believe that any interpreter could get a rule as basic as that one wrong.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

The case book plays to support my above post.

3.4 SITUATION A: Team A is wearing shirts which have: (a) a visible manufacturer's logo; (b) the school name below the numbers with the lettering starting in the front and continuing around the side to the back; or (c) the school name above the number and the mascot name below the number. RULING: The shirts in (a) and (b) are illegal and the penalty is a technical foul. The infraction must be discovered before the ball becomes live when a starter or substitute becomes a player. Two identifying names on the front of the shirt are legal in (c).

3.5 SITUATION B: The officials are on the court prior to the game observing the team warm-ups. One official notices that a member of Team A is wearing a decorative necklace. RULING: The official should inform the team member to remove the jewelry immediately. Upon compliance, the team member may continue to warm up with his or her teammates and may start the game without penalty.

3.5.6 SITUATION A: Substitute A6 is beckoned and enters the court to replace A1. A6 is wearing: (a) compression shorts below the game pants which extend below the knees; (b) cut-off jeans extending below the game pants; or (c) jewelry. RULING: The items in (a), (b) and (c) are illegal and A6 will not be allowed to participate while wearing the items. No penalty is involved. A6 simply cannot participate until the illegal items are removed. (3-5-7)

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 07:59am.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 08:15am
In Memoriam

Nevada, the easiest way to remember is:
- the technical fouls are covered under R3-4
- the "take 'em off or sit downs- your choice" are covered under R3-5.

Headbands and wristbands are listed under R3-5.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Nevada, the easiest way to remember is:
- the technical fouls are covered under R3-4
- the "take 'em off or sit downs- your choice" are covered under R3-5.

Headbands and wristbands are listed under R3-5.
JR,
I'm not sure why you addressed that to me instead of David, but what you wrote makes sense. I never grouped it by article before. I have always just remembered that the only items for which a player could receive a T were the jersey and shorts. Everything else is take it off or don't play.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Ok - that makes more sense now. Thanks for the clarification. Ilike the grouping method of separating them.

I have to say - I like the fact that in soccer, for the last 2-3 years, they changed the uniform policy. If you are inappropriately attired (jewelry, untucked shirt, etc), we would not allow the player to enter the field as a sub. However, if they are discovered on the field (as often happens with girls and earrings), they are asked to leave, and NO SUB is permitted until the next sub opportunity. They play shorthanded for however long it takes for a sub to be allowed. Since subs are only allowed on their own throw-ins, or the other team's throw-ins if they have a sub themselves, this often produces a significant penalty for forgotten earrings, etc. The first time you do this, the team makes sure that they didn't "forget" anything else.

Of course, this isn't soccer. But it was getting old constantly having people sub out with no penalty at all because they couldn't follow the simple rules to remove jewelry before entering the field. Do you think basketball will ever get some kind of penalty like this? I don't see them asking a team to play short, but maybe some other kind of penalty short of a technical?
Old Tue Nov 07, 2006, 08:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
JR,
I'm not sure why you addressed that to me instead of David, but what you wrote makes sense.
I addressed it to you because I was simply reinforcing your previous post, is all.