The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   shooting or not shooting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29268-shooting-not-shooting.html)

tmuckel Fri Nov 03, 2006 08:41pm

shooting or not shooting

Team 1 taking ball out. They foul player defending them from team 2. Official calls offensive foul. should this be a shooting foul for team 2?

Jurassic Referee Fri Nov 03, 2006 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmuckel
Team 1 taking ball out. They foul player defending them from team 2. Official calls offensive foul. should this be a shooting foul for team 2?

NFHS or NCAA rules?

Is the ball at the disposal of the player throwing the ball in when the foul occurred? Iow, has the 5-second throw-in count started?

Goota know this before you can get a correct answer.

refnrev Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:55pm

Quote:

You need to give more information on this play. There are some variables depending upon what's happening. Give some more details.

eyezen Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:09am

I am making an assumption here but I think the OP was an attempt at rephrasing this question:

While A-1 has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in, A-2 is charged with a personal foul against B-2. Team B is in the bonus. Official awards B-2 a one and one. Is the official correct?

My answer is yes (my rational is in NFHS there is no team control during a throw-in)

Note: That was one of this year's rule change proposals wasn't it? I wonder why it didn't make it.

Nevadaref Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev

You need to give more information on this play. There are some variables depending upon what's happening. Give some more details.

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know! :D

tmuckel Sat Nov 04, 2006 07:32am

shooting

eyezen, That is the exact thing that happen. But the official did not award the shot. He just gave the ball out to team b. Thanks. I was the scorer and just wondered what the correct call should of been. When I asked the official after the game he was not sure if he made the correct call and was going to look it up.

eyezen Sat Nov 04, 2006 08:58am

Maybe the official was confused because that is a rule difference between NFHS and NCAA. In NCAA play the ball would of been awarded to team B OOB because in NCAA there is team control during a throw in, a subtle difference between the rulesets.

tjones1 Sat Nov 04, 2006 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen
I am making an assumption here but I think the OP was an attempt at rephrasing this question:

While A-1 has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in, A-2 is charged with a personal foul against B-2. Team B is in the bonus. Official awards B-2 a one and one. Is the official correct?

My answer is yes (my rational is in NFHS there is no team control during a throw-in)

Note: That was one of this year's rule change proposals wasn't it? I wonder why it didn't make it.

Yes this is correct.

26 Year Gap Sat Nov 04, 2006 03:17pm

Quote:

Maybe the official was confused because that is a rule difference between NFHS and NCAA. In NCAA play the ball would of been awarded to team B OOB because in NCAA there is team control during a throw in, a subtle difference between the rulesets.

Maybe break up the abbreviations a bit.

Nevadaref Sun Nov 05, 2006 01:24am

Quote:

As opposed to awarding the ball to Team Flatchest. :eek:

IREFU2 Mon Nov 06, 2006 08:58am

Quote:

No team control on a throw in. Need more information.