The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 02:31am
We don't rent pigs

Early in the season I was calling 8th grade games at a local jr. high school about 10 miles from my home. The visiting school, from about 40 miles away, was a school that I had had problems with before, nothing out of the ordinary, just a vocal crowd and a short-tempered coach with 2 rather weak teams. The biggest problem is the principal. He introduced himself to me several years ago by saying that he strongly disagreed with the way I handled an illegal substitution ("These are young kids just learning, so you shouldn't call a T for this.") and things have gone downhill from there. Anyway, 2 or 3 minutes left, visitors up 3 or 4, and I call a double dribble on the visitors point guard. The coach got bug-eyed. He stepped 5 feet out onto the court and screamed, "You're crazy!!!" Whack. He got closer and louder. "You'll never do this to me again. etc. etc." Whack. Bye bye. (not in this game I won't) After a bit of a struggle, (partner handled it) he left. A lady from the stands and the principal came over to finish the game. She coached, he just sat there. Visitors went from up 3 to down 4, just a few seconds left, out of bounds. They call time out, I can't imagine why. I heard her say in the huddle, "The game is over." Now he steps out on the court and proceeds to tell me how sorry I am. I think: I really don't need to hear this. Whack. He says, "Good, call another one!" Whack. He says, "Why don't you just go to hell!" I say,
"Ball game," and walk away from him. He follows and continues to rave, "We'll never play again with you calling, we'll get back on the bus and go home." (We played the boys game immediately afterward without incident, other than him loudly griping about calls.) "I'm going to call your assignment secretary!!" I think: Good, be sure to mention the part about "go to hell." I haven't called any of their games since. My assignor and the local principals all said it was best to "keep you away from this idiot." True, I suppose, but I don't like it when the idiots run things. This week there was a tournament at the idiot school and my son's team was playing. Last night, we arrived, I showed my official's card and my wife and I walked in, but a few minutes later the doorkeeper came in and said sorry but Mr. (idiot) says we don't accept these cards. Well today a friend of mine went in, presented his card and was welcomed. Then mr. principal announced proudly to his doorkeeper, and everyone else standing around: "There's another guy coming in a little while, (called me by name), don't take his card. He has to pay."
Well, I guess he should hire competent help because when I arrived I flashed the card and the guy (different from yesterday) smiled and waved me in. Anybody else got a story like this, or an observation?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
He follows and continues to rave, "We'll never play again with you calling, we'll get back on the bus and go home." . . . My assignor and the local principals all said it was best to "keep you away from this idiot." True, I suppose, but I don't like it when the idiots run things.
You've already talked to the assignor and that's good. If it were me, I would tell the assignor that I want every single game this team plays for the rest of the season. I want to show up and let the principal know that I'm in charge here and he doesn't get to intimidate me. Now that's just me, but I wouldn't let this -- ahem -- gentleman tell anybody where I can and can't work. If his team gets back on the bus and goes home, so much the better.

chuck
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Since he is a priciple which means that within the school there is no one higher, I would go to the board of education and discuss this "leader ??". I am sure they would be impressed by his lead by example attitude that he exudes on the court in front of his pupils... And we wonder where the kids learn it from...
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the Comments made by CMCKenna and Chuck-

I had a situation in the Adult Rec league last year where I T'd up a player. After the game he came up to me and said that it would be in my best interest if I never refereed another one of there games. I looked at him acknowledge his comment. Walked over to the assignor who was in the gym, and told him that I wanted every single one of that teams game for the rest of the season. I saw that player twice a week for the rest of the season.

AK ref SE
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Why was the principal still in the gym for the boys game? I would have run him.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

I think that in a school league, asking for every game that school has would give he appearance that you want vengeance on that individual and will get it by calling all his school's games. This calls into question immediately whether or not you would ref in an unbiased manner. This is not to say that you would call against a school to make a point, but you put yourself in a position of being on the defensive when your credibility is questioned.

On the other hand, pulling you from all of these games makes it seem like the inmates are running the asylum, an equally bad outcome. They should have left the schedule alone, and the assignor should talk to the principal's boss about his behavior. It is unacceptable for the principal to behave in this manner. He needs to understand his role in the school - and it is not to be the beligerent ref baiter.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I think that in a school league, asking for every game that school has would give he appearance that you want vengeance on that individual and will get it by calling all his school's games.
That would not be my motivation, but I can see how it might appear that way. My motivation would be to show him that he can't run me off the court, and to stick his comments right back up his butt.

Quote:
On the other hand, pulling you from all of these games makes it seem like the inmates are running the asylum, an equally bad outcome.
This is the impression that I would least like to give. I would rather seem vindictive (but not be) than let the coaches/administrators of that school think they had any influence over my schedule.

Again, that's just me. In reality, no assignor in his right mind would give me all the remaining games on the teams schedule.

Chuck
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

In suppot of CMCKENNA

I had a situation at a Frosh game where one of the parents of the home team conducted himself in a very disrespectful manner. His conduct warranted that he be dealt with by game mamagement. Unfortunately, "game management" was the 1st year coach on the bench, who was not the assertive-type.

Shortly after the game (when I was able to track down the AD), I brought this issue to the AD. He asked for details about the "adult" and promised to follow-up on the incident. He also gave me this philosophy which has guided my attitude in these situations. He said, "The gym is another classroom. I expect officials (and coaches) to treat it in the same as any other class."

I have used that philosophy as much as possible when dealing with situations like the original post on this thread. Given the fact that this was "game managment" I would approach the next level and describe how unprofessional and damaging his "modeling" behavior was.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

To Just Another,I don't know if you saw my post last week but I had the A.D. of a school at a girls Var. game on my back the other day.After telling me to call it at both ends please roll eyes here I told him he should act like a A.D. and he left the building.My instructor has a complaint in with the disdrict A.D. and I'm waiting to get some satisfaction that this won't happen to someone else.I won't let this drop until this happens and hope you do the same.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

The principal needs to be taken care of. If you whacked someone twice while on the bench, most associations require a report be filed with the state high school association. File it! Let ttem suspend him a week or so from a game. Let him explain that to the school board. If he gives you those kinds of problems, he does it with other refs. File reports on him let them trak his record. He wont be around very long.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

when I was in Texas, I did a federation ballgame(softball) where the coach displayed unsportmanlike behaviour. I had a choice to write either the state association or the superintendent of that school district. I choose to write the superintendent with a narrative of what happened leaving out any subjective thoughts. I got a letter from that super. stating that they did not approve of that behaviour and that a letter went into that coach's file. In Texas, if the ref was right, they backed em 100%(at least that is what all assignors said). I suggest that you take the time to write a letter and send it to the appropriate person. If the district is worth their salt, they will take some action.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 01:03am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
The biggest problem is the principal. He introduced himself to me several years ago by saying that he strongly disagreed with the way I handled an illegal substitution ("These are young kids just learning, so you shouldn't call a T for this.") and things have gone downhill from there.
This story continues to unfold. I just learned that he related the above incident to some people last week at the tournament and said that I had "rubbed him the wrong way ever since." Both of the people he was talking to shot him down on this issue saying that they approved of the call. One other important point that I left out in my efforts to condense this too long post: This principal is also an official himself. He calls in a private school association so we never see him around here. Is this not the ultimate case of he oughta know better?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is this not the ultimate case of he oughta know better?
Actually, it's a sad case of he thinks that he is better than you. Why else would he instruct you on how to call the game?

[Edited by Nevadaref on Dec 22nd, 2002 at 07:40 AM]
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just a 2nd year ref in rec leagues, but also serve as a school principal who also mentors rookie principals, the behavior of the principal in this post is stupid, reprehensible, and is a poor reflection on him/her as well.

1. Gym is a classroom, just like Science or Math.
2. Schools being hammered today for teaching values and character traits like integrity, honesty, compassion.
3. Sports (along with band and the arts) is an extremely effective way to teach these values.
4. Principal is leader and the instructional head of the school-should be role model for faculty, staff, and community. S/he has high standard to meet.
5. Would be interested to see how principal would react if one of staff/faculty handled themselves in manner that principal handled self.

Suggest that you call Superintendent of schools for that school system, ask for name and mailing address of Supt. and write letter like previous poster discussed. Be sure to add in that you would be glad to speak with him/her if Supt wants to. Bet you dollars to doughnuts that Supt will call/contact you and resolve. Good old Boy network and "That's just the way principal is" is no excuse for this behavior. Feel free to add in points 1-3 into your letter.

Sorry for the rant.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 07:53pm
We don't rent pigs

ultimate irony

Last week, the same idiot-led school was visiting the same local school. For some reason, no officials showed up. A brief survey of the audience found only one solution. Mr. visiting principal called the games, by himself.

Lonesome Dove