The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt/On the jump (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29210-backcourt-jump.html)

PIAA REF Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:46am

Backcourt/On the jump

During the opening jump ball the ball is tipped into team A's frontcourt. A3 tries to track down the ball as it is going out of bounds. He jumps and secures the ball with one hand and tosses it into the backcourt where A2 retrieves the ball.

Backcourt Violation or not?

just another ref Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF
During the opening jump ball the ball is tipped into team A's frontcourt. A3 tries to track down the ball as it is going out of bounds. He jumps and secures the ball with one hand and tosses it into the backcourt where A2 retrieves the ball.

Backcourt Violation or not?

The key is "he secures control." This establishes team control in frontcourt. Thus, when ball is first touched in backcourt by a teammate, it is a violation.

Larks Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:20am

Team Control is off during a jump but is back on when a player establishes control.

A player is in control only when holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds.

If a3 established player (team) control in the front court you have a violation.

If he just slapped the ball into the back court - I think I got nothing because player control was never established.

BktBallRef Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:37am

The jump ball exception allows a player to catch the tapped ball in flight and land in the FC or BC. No other exception is given.

PIAA REF Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:04pm

What happened

I was U2, I was becoming the center the player cupped the ball and throw it into the backcourt I thought it should have been over and back the trail did not call it. We talked about it at the half and thought it was missed.
It was last year, won't let it happen this year.

Ignats75 Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larks
Team Control is off during a jump but is back on when a player establishes control.

A player is in control only when holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds.

If a3 established player (team) control in the front court you have a violation.

If he just slapped the ball into the back court - I think I got nothing because player control was never established.

I gotta agree with Larks. Unless A establishes control of the ball by holding it in his hand, its nothing.

rainmaker Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:28pm

Quote:

I was U2, I was becoming the center the player cupped the ball and throw it into the backcourt I thought it should have been over and back the trail did not call it. We talked about it at the half and thought it was missed.

So it's up to your judgment whether what you saw met the definition of "holding" the ball. In your position, I'd have probably done the same as you, namely, waited to see what someone else thought!;)

bob jenkins Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:55pm

Quote:

When in doubt on this type of play, I would err on the side of saying control was NOT established and that there is no violation.

Nevadaref Tue Oct 31, 2006 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
The jump ball exception allows a player to catch the tapped ball in flight and land in the FC or BC. No other exception is given.

Hey Tony,
What if on this play, A3 had jumped from his frontcourt, caught the ball in the air, and then landed in his backcourt? :D

just another ref Tue Oct 31, 2006 03:20pm

The original post said he "secures the ball." The word secure indicates control. If so, it is clearly a violation.