The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

free throw/basket interference

Question:

A-1 attempted the second of two free throws and B-2 touched the ball while it was on the ring and prevented it from entering the basket. What is the call?
I know goal tending is a T on free throw, but is basket interference too, i don't think it is, so would you just award A1 with the point and let B take it out as any other free throw, no other penalties?
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
I know goal tending is a T on free throw, but is basket interference too,
No.

Quote:
i don't think it is,
You are correct, sir!

Quote:
so would you just award A1 with the point and let B take it out as any other free throw, no other penalties?
Correct again!!
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

I agree that all you have is BI and score the 1 point.
10-4-10 Player technical for goaltending a FT no mention or reference to BI.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refhoops
I agree that all you have is BI and score the 1 point.
10-4-10 Player technical for goaltending a FT no mention or reference to BI.
This was a rule change just a few years ago. Prior to the change, it was a T to commit BI on a FT. It didn't make a lot of since...so they fixed it...violation only.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
This was a rule change just a few years ago. Prior to the change, it was a T to commit BI on a FT. It didn't make a lot of since...so they fixed it...violation only.
It didn't make much sense either.

Are spending too much time reading Rut's posts?
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

Yes, are.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 03:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

And that makes sense?

Pot....kettle....black.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
With fire in the mouth he who speaks, suffer many painful scars, will. Herh herh herh.

(Talk like Yoda, you too can.)
http://www.yodaspeak.co.uk/
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Nah, my original sentence was:

It didn't make a lot of sense...they have since fixed it...violation only.

I didn't like the wording so I edited but I kept the wrong sense/since.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Typo aside, I think they went "too far" in changing the rule (at least in theory -- in practice, I've never seen either GT or BI on a FT).

Play: While A1's FT try is in flight, B1 enters the lane, jumps and contacts the ball (a) just before the ball enters the imaginary cylinder, or (b) just after the ball enters the imaginary cylinder. Ruling: In (a), GT, and a T. In (b), BI; no T.

It seems to me that there's not much difference between those plays, and they should be treated the same.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Play: While A1's FT try is in flight, B1 enters the lane, jumps and contacts the ball (a) just before the ball enters the imaginary cylinder, or (b) just after the ball enters the imaginary cylinder. Ruling: In (a), GT, and a T. In (b), BI; no T.

It seems to me that there's not much difference between those plays, and they should be treated the same.
What you say seems reasonable, Bob. But the reason for the rule change was not the play you mention in (a). The reason for the rule change was to penalize blocking the FT on the way up, immediately out of the shooter's hand.

Picture this very familiar scenario. Team A is down by 2 points and A1 is awarded 2 FTs in the closing seconds of the 4th quarter. A1 misses the first FT. We all know what's going to happen next, right? A1 is going to miss the FT intentionally and attempt to get the rebound for a put-back to tie the game.

What's the best defense against this possibility? Block the FT as soon as it is out of the shooter's hand. Before the rule change, it was simply 1 point and the ball was awarded to Team B. But this clearly is an unfair use of the rule. So to prevent teams from doing that in the closing seconds, the rule committee added the extra penalty of the T. This way, Team A still has a chance to tie or win the game. (The reason it's not a T for BI is that it's possible to commit BI while genuinely trying for the rebound; that is, while making a "basketball play". GT during a FT can never be considered a "basketball play".)

So, as unlikely as it seems, I think it's a good rule. To treat your examples (a) and (b) the same way makes sense, as I said. But to implement it, you'd need to penalize some forms of GT differently from other forms.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 08:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
The reason for the rule change was to penalize blocking the FT on the way up, immediately out of the shooter's hand.

Picture this very familiar scenario. Team A is down by 2 points and A1 is awarded 2 FTs in the closing seconds of the 4th quarter. A1 misses the first FT. We all know what's going to happen next, right? A1 is going to miss the FT intentionally and attempt to get the rebound for a put-back to tie the game.

What's the best defense against this possibility? Block the FT as soon as it is out of the shooter's hand. Before the rule change, it was simply 1 point and the ball was awarded to Team B. But this clearly is an unfair use of the rule. So to prevent teams from doing that in the closing seconds, the rule committee added the extra penalty of the T. This way, Team A still has a chance to tie or win the game.
And another good point by Chuck....

Only on a free-throw can GT be called if the ball is touched on the way up by an opponent of the FT shooter. All other forms of goaltending occur when the ball is on the way down.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Typo aside, I think they went "too far" in changing the rule (at least in theory -- in practice, I've never seen either GT or BI on a FT).

True. But the more likely BI case (and the one that the change was really intended to address) is after the ball hits the rim, rolls around the rim, and is maybe coming out but is still on the rim when A3 goes up and dunks it or B3 grabs it off the rim.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And that makes sense?

Pot....kettle....black.
That one's a classic, guys!

Glad that I could provide some further amusement while attempting to have a little fun with Camron.

And Dan, I love the Yoda link, thanks!
Old Wed Oct 25, 2006, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I like the Yoda link so much that I started playing around with it and it occurred to me to put in a few of the questions from last year's NFHS Part 1 exam and see what they would be like in Yoda-speak, since they don't seem to make much sense in English anyway.

English:
The net shall be constructed so it will momentarily check the ball as it passes through.
Yoda-speak:
The net shall be constructed so, momentarily check the ball as it passes through, will it.

English:
When play is resumed by a throw-in after a double foul occurs, it takes place at the spot closest to the fouls.
Yoda-speak:
When resumed by a throw-in after a double foul occurs, play is, to the fouls it takes place at the spot closest.

English:
The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor when the defense commits an excessively swinging elbow violation.
Yoda-speak:
The ball becomes dead until the try or tap ends not, or to the floor until the airborne shooter returns when the defense commits an excessively swinging elbow violation.