The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Opinions Sought (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29036-opinions-sought.html)

ChuckElias Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SperlingPE
I am not worried about the logistics. There are two NAIA conferences nearby and a junior college conference close by.

Then good luck. It's probably too late for you to get games for this season, tho, isn't it?

mick Mon Oct 23, 2006 01:13pm

Quote:

I forgot to ad that I am an engineer as well.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/la...smiley-001.gif

rockyroad Mon Oct 23, 2006 01:15pm

Quote:

Now that's funny right there...:p

M&M Guy Mon Oct 23, 2006 01:57pm

Quote:

Once upon a time there was an engineer,
Choo-Choo Charlie was his name we hear...

Sorry. I think I might need some of Padgett's meds now too.

Anyway, like I said before, I agree with all of Chuck's comments. I might add another thought or two about the differences between HS and college. Last season, I had a HS game on a Friday night, and a college game on Sat. afternoon. The Fri. night game happened to be at a small school that co-ops their football with another school, so they celebrated homecoming at this basketball game. The gym was packed, banners everywhere, conference game. The atmosphere was wonderful, and our crew had a good game. Our check was for $40. The next day, I had a juco women's game where there were 20 people in the stands. Sometimes the only sound you heard was the squeak of the sneakers. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, and I walked out with a check almost 3 times the amount from the night before. The only reason I remember this was because after the game, one of the coaches asked me why I still work HS ball. The night before was the perfect example.

Working college, at least for me, has definitely helped with my experience. But sometimes, there's nothing like the rush that comes from working in that packed HS gym.

LarryS Mon Oct 23, 2006 02:29pm

Quote:

I have been officiating HS basketball for 16+ years. I have worked all classes, boys and girls, conference tournaments, and I am regularly assigned games during the district tournaments. I have also been to the state tournament as an alternate. I have worked with officials who have more experience than I at the HS level. The majority of these mroe experienced officials also work some form of college basketball (NAIA, D1, D2, D3, junior college, etc.) These officials are telling me to make the jump to college ball. One of their reasons is that it will improve my game at the HS level. What is the opinion of the officials here who still work both levels?

Remember this is coming from a guy that will never have the opportunity to work at the college level...started doing this too late in life to have any chance past HS varstiy.

I think there is only one reason an official should attempt to make the jump from high school to college officiating...you want to. (I know that is grammatically incorrect :) )

As others have said, there are ways to improve the quality of your high school work without working college. If you WANT to work college ball, go for it. Either way, good luck.

Jimgolf Mon Oct 23, 2006 02:53pm

Quote:

You are not allowed to post an ad on this site. Spam alert! :eek:

SperlingPE Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf

What?

Anyway, it is too late to get any games. However, I am going to get to work some jv games this year with some of my more experienced colleagues to help transition to the college level.

Jurassic Referee Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:57pm

Quote:

However, I am going to get to work some jv games this year with some of my more experienced colleagues to help transition to the college level.

How will that help your transition to college ball?:confused: You're working with a completely different rulebook in a game that's being officiated (hopefully) with a completely different philosophy too.

SperlingPE Wed Oct 25, 2006 01:02pm

The jv games are jv college games.
As far as different philosophy, that may be partially true.
However, the rules are college rules.

Jurassic Referee Wed Oct 25, 2006 01:05pm

Quote:

The jv games are jv college games.
As far as different philosophy, that may be partially true.
However, the rules are college rules.

I misunderstood your post.

My bad.

Nevermind....

Jimgolf Wed Oct 25, 2006 03:11pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf

Quote:

What?

Lame attempt at humor. Sorry I tried to add that.