The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 12, 2001, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

"3. No one is allowed to foul if I'm not looking. "

"
Last game I started alone, there wasn't a single foul until my partner showed up about five minutes into the game!!"

Perhaps you just weren't looking.

When I've had to ref alone (thank god not too often), I've also asked players to be honest about OOB. I also ask coaches and bench personnel to do the same. They are usually pretty good about it. They know that if you catch them in a lie, you could start calling the game while giving a slight edge to the opposing team.

Ren
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I stay away from the table/benches 98% of the game.

I also talk to the coaches before the game starts and explain that I'll do the best I can.... I do this with the two coaches together, and state that I'm sure they want the calls to be right. I tell them if I get an OOB on their side wrong, and both coaches agree, we're changing it. We want it right for the kids/whomever. I also let the players dictate the OOB if they will before I call the jump (as someone else said).

I will drive to the end line sometimes, but not often. Sure, I miss stuff, and I get yelled at, but I also get apologized to. It is no fun (even at 1.5x the pay) but it happens.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2001, 04:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
I stay away from the table/benches 98% of the game.

I also talk to the coaches before the game starts and explain that I'll do the best I can.... I do this with the two coaches together, and state that I'm sure they want the calls to be right. I tell them if I get an OOB on their side wrong, and both coaches agree, we're changing it. We want it right for the kids/whomever. I also let the players dictate the OOB if they will before I call the jump (as someone else said).

I will drive to the end line sometimes, but not often. Sure, I miss stuff, and I get yelled at, but I also get apologized to. It is no fun (even at 1.5x the pay) but it happens.
Richard,
If a partner "no shows" we get 2 checks.
mick
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Wish we got "2 checks", especially on a varsity game. We get 1 1/2 checks and "special consideration" for assignment to a "premier" game if possible. Has only happended one time, but still nice.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Wish we got "2 checks", especially on a varsity game. We get 1 1/2 checks and "special consideration" for assignment to a "premier" game if possible. Has only happened one time, but still nice.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2001, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

I'm guessing the school gets a small credit since they did not get the service they paid for. That leaves us with the 1.5x check. BTW, it doesn't matter if a partner was scheduled or not. If you work a game by yourself, you get the extra pay. There are no future privileges....
Old Sat Sep 15, 2001, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Never

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeref
Other than summer league basketball, where do officials call games with only 1 official? In Wisconsin we are told (by the WIAA) NEVER and I mean NEVER to officiate a game by yourself, no matter what the situation. The possibility of some type of lawsuit is ever present!! Do not think for one minute that some mom or dad in the stands would not take your behind to court if something happened. No game is important enough to put your career on the line. The society that we live in makes that absolutely ctystal clear.....at least to me!!!
Unfortunately here in the Netherlands, one man officiating isn't as incidental as it should be. I would say that I've had a couple of those games the past season. I was quite surprised at the standing point of your basketbal federation. Up here the regulations of the Dutch basketball association (NBB) clearly state that one man officiating is obligatory when needed. This way, when your collegue does not show up, you are litteraly left by yourself. But thinking of the Winsconsin way, these Dutch regulations might also be the effect of a structural 'defect' in our leagues...
Old Sat Sep 15, 2001, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good ideas Rainmaker!!!