The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28945-questions.html)

Mwanr1 Wed Oct 18, 2006 01:16pm

Questions

Hi guys,

I need your help to help me cite this answer. I can't seems to find it in the rulebook.

"The referee may not permit a game to continue if either team has only one participating player."

In my mind, I ask myself, how in the world is this one player supposed to inbound the ball. But i can't find the answer in the rulebook to back up my claim. Please help.

JRutledge Wed Oct 18, 2006 01:23pm

Rule 3-1 Note.

What if the team with one player is up by 10 points with 10 seconds to go? They might just win the game at that point. :D

Peace

Mwanr1 Wed Oct 18, 2006 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Rule 3-1 Note.

What if the team with one player is up by 10 points with 10 seconds to go? They might just win the game at that point. :D

Peace

Goood one!! I got the answer now - thanks!! =)

Mark Padgett Wed Oct 18, 2006 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwanr1
Hi guys,

I need your help to help me cite this answer. I can't seems to find it in the rulebook.

"The referee may not permit a game to continue if either team has only one participating player."

In my mind, I ask myself, how in the world is this one player supposed to inbound the ball. But i can't find the answer in the rulebook to back up my claim. Please help.

Here's one way. He throws the ball inbounds so it hits a defensive player. He then jumps inbounds and recovers the ball.

Also, he could just violate and let the other team inbound. The game would continue.

stewcall Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:25am

Take a look at 3.1 Note:
(regarding onw player) "unless the referee believes the team has an opportunity to win the game"
stew in VA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwanr1
Hi guys,

REFVA Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:57pm

Rule 3 Players, Substitutes and Equipment
NUMBER OF PLAYERS REQUIRED
3.1.1 SITUATION: After six players have been disqualified, Team A has only four who are eligible to continue in the game as players. In a gesture of fair play, the coach of Team B indicates a desire to withdraw a player so that each team will have four players on the court. RULING: This is not permissible. Team B must have five players participating as long as it has that number available. If no substitute is available, a team must continue with fewer than five players. When only one player remains to participate, that team shall forfeit the game unless the referee believes this team still has an opportunity to win the game.