The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 05, 2001, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I'm new to the forum, and I'm guessing that a majority of the officials posting on this forum are from the USA, right?

I'm from Australia, have been officiating for 8 years now, and for the first time this year was selected to referee our state senior finals (the strongest state competition in Australia). Last year was my first year appointed to state junior finals.

I guess I'm just curious as to how you guys progress through the rankings over there, what leagues/competitions do you have to officiate to reach NCAA or NBA???
Old Wed Sep 05, 2001, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

It doesn't work like that.

If you're interested in working college ball, you have to be seen by someone, someone being a conference supervisor or perhaps an official who has the supervisor's ear. Many officials attend camps to be seen. The NBA also has camps that they use to look at young officials, as well as recruiting from the college ranks.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Sep 06, 2001, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Angry What about me?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by irunlikeagirl
I'm new to the forum, and I'm guessing that a majority of the officials posting on this forum are from the USA, right?

I'm from Australia, have been officiating for 8 years now, and for the first time this year was selected to referee our state senior finals (the strongest state competition in Australia). Last year was my first year appointed to state junior finals.

I guess I'm just curious as to how you guys progress through the rankings over there, what leagues/competitions do you have to officiate to reach NCAA or NBA???
Hey Irun! How's things? Although the majority of people on tis board are either seppos or Canadians, there are a few others from around the world including me!

Where abouts are you based? I'm on the northern beaches of Sydney, and have been a member of Manly Warringah Basketball Association for over 15 years, 12 as a referee.

Anyway, good to see another Aussie around here - talk to you soon.

Duane
http://www.Ref-Basketball.com
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Re: What about me?!?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oz Referee
Although the majority of people on tis board are either seppos or Canadians, there are a few others from around the world including me!

Hey Oz!

Being from Kentucky, I've been called a lot of things. Redneck, Hillbilly and Bumpkin come to mind.

Apparently, now, I'm a "seppo". Could you please educate my ignorance and tell me what that is?
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Talking Oz-Ref

Yah!... What is a Seppo?... I am proud to be a CHEESEHEAD!

And why is that you have to name your sports leagues "Manly" Warringah Basketball Association? Is there a "WOmanly" Warringah Basketball Association?

BTW: I enjoy your FIBA perspective on B-ball.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 08:45am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Oz-Ref

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree

And why is that you have to name your sports leagues "Manly" Warringah Basketball Association? Is there a "WOmanly" Warringah Basketball Association?

Willie,
One of the reasons it's called Manly is because they don't wear jocks straps while playing rugby. They're tough!

Did I say Go Lions!
mick

PS. Oz, I thought we were propeller heads. What gives?
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Mick

Go PACK Go!

Are you ready for some football?
Ooops! this is the Basketball Forum.....
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: What about me?!?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Although the majority of people on tis board are either seppos or Canadians, there are a few others from around the world including me!

Hey Oz!

Being from Kentucky, I've been called a lot of things. Redneck, Hillbilly and Bumpkin come to mind.

Apparently, now, I'm a "seppo". Could you please educate my ignorance and tell me what that is?
OK I was sure that I would have to explain this.

Australia is the land of rhyming slang, phone is "dog and bone", Bo Peep is "sleep" and pig's ear is "beer".

SO A septic tank is a yank...and septic tank is shortened to seppo. Usually this is a term that is not meant to be offensive, however it is commonly used to describe an Australian that is a "wannnabe" American. (ie. listens to rap, wears lots of branded sweats, and has to talk to everyone with lots of "yo's", "bro's" etc.

Any other questions?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 04:31pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: What about me?!?

Quote:

OK I was sure that I would have to explain this.

Australia is the land of rhyming slang, phone is "dog and bone", Bo Peep is "sleep" and pig's ear is "beer".

SO A septic tank is a yank...and septic tank is shortened to seppo. Usually this is a term that is not meant to be offensive, however it is commonly used to describe an Australian that is a "wannnabe" American. (ie. listens to rap, wears lots of branded sweats, and has to talk to everyone with lots of "yo's", "bro's" etc.

Any other questions?
I'd rather be a prop head.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Hey Duane

Hey Duane,

I ref out of the Albert Park Basketball Referees Association, learnt the trade at Dandenong for 5 years, then my travels took me via Ballarat and Auchenflower (QLD) and back to Dandenong for another year before moving to my current association.

Currently just winding up my fourth season on the Victorian Junior Championship, and finished my premier VBL season a few weeks ago, ranking in the top 16.

I've held my level 2 for nearly three years now, looking for a spot on next year's National Development Panel, and possibly a crack at the ABA Big V Conference Panel in 2003.

Catch ya, irun.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2001, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: What about me?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

I'd rather be a prop head.
Okay, you're a prop head.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Sep 08, 2001, 02:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool Re: Re: Re: What about me?!?

Quote:
Usually this is a term that is not meant to be offensive, however it is commonly used to describe an Australian that is a "wannnabe" American. (ie. listens to rap, wears lots of branded sweats, and has to talk to everyone with lots of "yo's", "bro's" etc.

Any other questions?
If someone wanted to be like Americans in my part of the country (the Pacific Northwest), he would wear shorts in the rain, ride only bicycles or public transportation, protest to save trees and/or whales, wear a backpack 24/7, play hackey-sack and live at Starbucks.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2001, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Oz-Ref

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree

An American tourist in Sydney walked up to a man near the harbour and asked:"Can you tell me where I can find the Manly Ferry"
The man replied:"Speaking"

I believe the term "Septic Tank" for Americans was coined during the 2nd World War when there were many Americian troops in Australia. Before sewerage there were septic tanks. It was meant in good humour as part of the rhyming slang.