The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Down Under (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/2879-down-under.html)

irunlikeagirl Wed Sep 05, 2001 09:34pm

I'm new to the forum, and I'm guessing that a majority of the officials posting on this forum are from the USA, right?

I'm from Australia, have been officiating for 8 years now, and for the first time this year was selected to referee our state senior finals (the strongest state competition in Australia). Last year was my first year appointed to state junior finals.

I guess I'm just curious as to how you guys progress through the rankings over there, what leagues/competitions do you have to officiate to reach NCAA or NBA???

BktBallRef Wed Sep 05, 2001 10:00pm

It doesn't work like that.

If you're interested in working college ball, you have to be seen by someone, someone being a conference supervisor or perhaps an official who has the supervisor's ear. Many officials attend camps to be seen. The NBA also has camps that they use to look at young officials, as well as recruiting from the college ranks.

Oz Referee Thu Sep 06, 2001 05:12pm

What about me?!?

Quote:

Originally posted by irunlikeagirl
I'm new to the forum, and I'm guessing that a majority of the officials posting on this forum are from the USA, right?

I'm from Australia, have been officiating for 8 years now, and for the first time this year was selected to referee our state senior finals (the strongest state competition in Australia). Last year was my first year appointed to state junior finals.

I guess I'm just curious as to how you guys progress through the rankings over there, what leagues/competitions do you have to officiate to reach NCAA or NBA???

Hey Irun! How's things? Although the majority of people on tis board are either seppos or Canadians, there are a few others from around the world including me!

Where abouts are you based? I'm on the northern beaches of Sydney, and have been a member of Manly Warringah Basketball Association for over 15 years, 12 as a referee.

Anyway, good to see another Aussie around here - talk to you soon.

Duane
http://www.Ref-Basketball.com

Barry C. Morris Fri Sep 07, 2001 07:42am

Re: What about me?!?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oz Referee
Although the majority of people on tis board are either seppos or Canadians, there are a few others from around the world including me!

Hey Oz!

Being from Kentucky, I've been called a lot of things. Redneck, Hillbilly and Bumpkin come to mind.

Apparently, now, I'm a "seppo". Could you please educate my ignorance and tell me what that is?

williebfree Fri Sep 07, 2001 08:32am

Oz-Ref

Yah!... What is a Seppo?... I am proud to be a CHEESEHEAD! :D

And why is that you have to name your sports leagues "Manly" Warringah Basketball Association? Is there a "WOmanly" Warringah Basketball Association? :D

BTW: I enjoy your FIBA perspective on B-ball.

mick Fri Sep 07, 2001 08:45am

Re: Oz-Ref

Quote:

Originally posted by williebfree

And why is that you have to name your sports leagues "Manly" Warringah Basketball Association? Is there a "WOmanly" Warringah Basketball Association? :D

Willie,
One of the reasons it's called Manly is because they don't wear jocks straps while playing rugby. They're tough! ;)

Did I say <font color = red size = +3>Go Lions!</font>
mick

PS. Oz, I thought we were propeller heads. What gives?

williebfree Fri Sep 07, 2001 08:52am

Mick

<font color = yellow size = +2>Go PACK Go!</font>

Are you ready for some football?
<font color = red size = +1>Ooops!</font> this is the Basketball Forum.....

Oz Referee Fri Sep 07, 2001 03:45pm

Re: Re: What about me?!?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
Quote:

Originally posted by Oz Referee
Although the majority of people on tis board are either seppos or Canadians, there are a few others from around the world including me!

Hey Oz!

Being from Kentucky, I've been called a lot of things. Redneck, Hillbilly and Bumpkin come to mind.

Apparently, now, I'm a "seppo". Could you please educate my ignorance and tell me what that is?
OK I was sure that I would have to explain this.

Australia is the land of rhyming slang, phone is "dog and bone", Bo Peep is "sleep" and pig's ear is "beer".

SO A septic tank is a yank...and septic tank is shortened to seppo. Usually this is a term that is not meant to be offensive, however it is commonly used to describe an Australian that is a "wannnabe" American. (ie. listens to rap, wears lots of branded sweats, and has to talk to everyone with lots of "yo's", "bro's" etc.

Any other questions? :)

mick Fri Sep 07, 2001 04:31pm

Re: Re: Re: What about me?!?

Quote:

OK I was sure that I would have to explain this.

Australia is the land of rhyming slang, phone is "dog and bone", Bo Peep is "sleep" and pig's ear is "beer".

SO A septic tank is a yank...and septic tank is shortened to seppo. Usually this is a term that is not meant to be offensive, however it is commonly used to describe an Australian that is a "wannnabe" American. (ie. listens to rap, wears lots of branded sweats, and has to talk to everyone with lots of "yo's", "bro's" etc.

I'd rather be a prop head.

irunlikeagirl Fri Sep 07, 2001 10:45pm

Hey Duane

Hey Duane,

I ref out of the Albert Park Basketball Referees Association, learnt the trade at Dandenong for 5 years, then my travels took me via Ballarat and Auchenflower (QLD) and back to Dandenong for another year before moving to my current association.

Currently just winding up my fourth season on the Victorian Junior Championship, and finished my premier VBL season a few weeks ago, ranking in the top 16.

I've held my level 2 for nearly three years now, looking for a spot on next year's National Development Panel, and possibly a crack at the ABA Big V Conference Panel in 2003.

Catch ya, irun.

BktBallRef Sat Sep 08, 2001 12:14am

Re: Re: Re: Re: What about me?!?

Quote:

Originally posted by mick

I'd rather be a prop head.

Okay, you're a prop head. :)

Mark Padgett Sat Sep 08, 2001 02:04pm

Re: Re: Re: What about me?!?

Quote:

Usually this is a term that is not meant to be offensive, however it is commonly used to describe an Australian that is a "wannnabe" American. (ie. listens to rap, wears lots of branded sweats, and has to talk to everyone with lots of "yo's", "bro's" etc.

If someone wanted to be like Americans in my part of the country (the Pacific Northwest), he would wear shorts in the rain, ride only bicycles or public transportation, protest to save trees and/or whales, wear a backpack 24/7, play hackey-sack and live at Starbucks.

Malcolm Tucker Sat Sep 08, 2001 05:29pm

Re: Oz-Ref

Quote:

Originally posted by williebfree

An American tourist in Sydney walked up to a man near the harbour and asked:"Can you tell me where I can find the Manly Ferry"
The man replied:"Speaking"

I believe the term "Septic Tank" for Americans was coined during the 2nd World War when there were many Americian troops in Australia. Before sewerage there were septic tanks. It was meant in good humour as part of the rhyming slang.